Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie

I bought the firewire cable and the Thunderbolt adapter to connect the camera to my IMAC.

Try to connect but the IMAC don't recognize the camera.

Then i realise my Camera is not compatible with Mac.

Is there any other option to connect my camera to my IMAC?

I ould like to transfer the Mini DV tapes to the IMAC.

My IMAC is old.

Thank you!

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 9:00 AM

Most tape based cameras are compatible with iMovie even if they are not displayed on Apple's compatibility list.

On the other hand, importing mini-DV video with iMovie has shown to be not always reliable. It works for some cameras and not with others.

Faulty cables or adapters account for many instances where iMovie will not recognize the camera. If the cables and adapters are not Apple you might try replacing them. Check that your cable connections are tight. Also, in case the Thunderbolt slot on your Mac is faulty, you might try switching to another slot.

Another tip is to start the camera and the tape running before beginning the import. Sometimes that triggers recognition.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 9:00 AM in response to josivaranda

Most tape based cameras are compatible with iMovie even if they are not displayed on Apple's compatibility list.

On the other hand, importing mini-DV video with iMovie has shown to be not always reliable. It works for some cameras and not with others.

Faulty cables or adapters account for many instances where iMovie will not recognize the camera. If the cables and adapters are not Apple you might try replacing them. Check that your cable connections are tight. Also, in case the Thunderbolt slot on your Mac is faulty, you might try switching to another slot.

Another tip is to start the camera and the tape running before beginning the import. Sometimes that triggers recognition.

-- Rich

imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.