Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I wipe a 2005 MacBook Pro?

How do I wipe a 2005 MacBook Pro? Command R doesn't work

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 2:35 PM

Insert a compatible Mac OS X install DVD, restart with the C or Option key held down, and use the Disk Utility to erase the internal drive.

For reference, there aren't any 2005 MacBook Pros; the process is the same for a 2005 iBook or PowerBook and a 2006 MacBook Pros, except if you'll be changing the partition table map format.

(195189)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 2:35 PM in response to rpaese

Insert a compatible Mac OS X install DVD, restart with the C or Option key held down, and use the Disk Utility to erase the internal drive.

For reference, there aren't any 2005 MacBook Pros; the process is the same for a 2005 iBook or PowerBook and a 2006 MacBook Pros, except if you'll be changing the partition table map format.

(195189)

Apr 1, 2021 5:40 PM in response to rpaese

I highly recommend you write zeroes to the whole drive since anything else (even partitioning the drive) will leave the data hidden on the drive where data recovery software can access the hidden data. Older versions of Disk Utility have an option to securely erase the hard drive by writing zeroes to the drive (single pass is sufficient). Follow @Neil's advice for booting the Mac so you can access Disk Utility to erase the drive.

How do I wipe a 2005 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.