Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disc Storage

Recently realized that my Mac has been running slow because I have not updated my computer so I purchased 2 TB of storage because it said my Mac didn't have enough storage to update it. But it isn't letting me download the update still. What can it be?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 9:29 PM

Purchasing storage does not expand the storage on your computer. What you need to do is get an external hard drive and go through your computer and either move files to that external drive and/or delete files - the ones hogging the most space are usually photos, videos, movies,etc. You need to maintain a minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space at all times for the OS and system to function properly; if you fill it up completely, it will simply stop working.

As for running slow, there may be more to it than not having updated; it could be AV software, the disk being too full, the hard drive failing, or several other things. So, please download and run etrecheck, it is a diagnostic tool. Run it and post the entire report here using the third from the right icon for additional text in the toolbar of the reply window. Then we can take a look.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 9:29 PM in response to miaamor1028

Purchasing storage does not expand the storage on your computer. What you need to do is get an external hard drive and go through your computer and either move files to that external drive and/or delete files - the ones hogging the most space are usually photos, videos, movies,etc. You need to maintain a minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space at all times for the OS and system to function properly; if you fill it up completely, it will simply stop working.

As for running slow, there may be more to it than not having updated; it could be AV software, the disk being too full, the hard drive failing, or several other things. So, please download and run etrecheck, it is a diagnostic tool. Run it and post the entire report here using the third from the right icon for additional text in the toolbar of the reply window. Then we can take a look.

Disc Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.