Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import photos into a destination folder in Apple Photos 4.0 on Mac?

Hi, as my recent post. I'm asking myself how to get more control over Apple’s Photos.

This time I want to import media from my iPhone via Photos, but not as managed to the Photos library.

I have unchecked "Copy Items to the Photos library", to import media as "referenced", but this only works if you already have the media on your hard drive. To import media directly from your iPhone via Photos it seems like Apple doesn't let me. There is NO destination folder option, only album or library inside Photos.

Seems like i have to use other software like Apple’s "Image Capture" to import media first to my HD and import it again after into Apple’s Photos…

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 1:28 AM

Hi

You are correct - the whole point of referenced files is you are referencing them where they already are on your system. If they are not on your system you cannot reference them.

Also - using the referenced method is not generally recommended here. Apple Photos doesn't have the tools to correctly manage them (for example, being able to easily reconnect them to the library if you need to move them to another location or another volume)

See:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002591

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 1:28 AM in response to phrank

Hi

You are correct - the whole point of referenced files is you are referencing them where they already are on your system. If they are not on your system you cannot reference them.

Also - using the referenced method is not generally recommended here. Apple Photos doesn't have the tools to correctly manage them (for example, being able to easily reconnect them to the library if you need to move them to another location or another volume)

See:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002591

How to import photos into a destination folder in Apple Photos 4.0 on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.