Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting MP4

Seems like there is no straight forward way to export an MP4. The only way I can do it is export it with Compressor using the "HTTP Live Streaming" preset but that seems like weird option for MP4. Otherwise I export it as a Quicktime MOV then need to re-compress in another app like Handbrake which diminishes the quality and take more time re-compressing the file twice.

What's the best way? BTW, reason I need MP4 is satisfy non Apple clients who don't want MOV.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 9:04 AM

12 replies

Apr 2, 2021 1:04 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

This if for if you film an event and distribute it on a usb flash drive. You want the most compatible format that everyone can play.

I tried direct export as a Master File but it only saves in as a .mov and there are no setting controls for the bitrate. I always use Compressor because I have more control and can batch exports, go to bed and wake up the next day with multiple movies exported.

Apr 2, 2021 1:30 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

You're right. Missed that "Computer" setting. While that does export a MP4, for my purposes I need the ability to control the file size so that it fits on media or isn't too large to upload/download. Hopefully this thread will help others with similar questions because exporting isn't as straight forward as one would imagine.

Exporting MP4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.