Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to prevent MBPR sleeping with macOS11?

I’d like to prevent my laptop from sleeping while on battery. I used to be able to do this in Energy Saver in previous macOS versions, but Big Sur’s switch to the Battery preferences seems to have also gotten rid of the option to disable sleep while on battery. Is there any way to do this anymore?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 10:56 AM

Hi Jason,

You can prevent your Mac from sleeping temporarily by giving it some coffe- oops, I mean, by running the caffeinate command in Terminal. To see how caffeinate works, open Terminal, click the Help button at the top of the screen, and search for caffeinate. Choose the man page entry that appears.

To truly prevent your Mac from sleeping while on battery, you'll need to use the pmset command in Terminal. I recommend looking up the pmset man page as described above.

Also, back up your Mac with Time Machine before you try any of this stuff.

Please let me know if you have any questions on how to use pmset or Terminal.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2021 10:56 AM in response to Jason Lixfeld

Hi Jason,

You can prevent your Mac from sleeping temporarily by giving it some coffe- oops, I mean, by running the caffeinate command in Terminal. To see how caffeinate works, open Terminal, click the Help button at the top of the screen, and search for caffeinate. Choose the man page entry that appears.

To truly prevent your Mac from sleeping while on battery, you'll need to use the pmset command in Terminal. I recommend looking up the pmset man page as described above.

Also, back up your Mac with Time Machine before you try any of this stuff.

Please let me know if you have any questions on how to use pmset or Terminal.

How to prevent MBPR sleeping with macOS11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.