Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you tell your hard drive is failing, other than running an Etre check.

How can I tell the hard drive is failing on my other machines besides posting a Etre Check Report. I suspect this is the case with other imacs in the office just curious of a way to do it or what to look out for.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 5:17 PM

To check the health of the hard drive you can run the Apple Diagnostics, but it will not detect most drive failures. @Barney-15E's suggestion to check the SMART status in Disk Utility is unlikely to show a failure unless your drive is basically dead. I've only seen the "SMART status failed" twice in 20 years, but I've replaced hundreds if not thousands of failing or worn out drives in that time.

A better way of checking the health of the hard drive is to run DriveDx. Post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 5:17 PM in response to Julmbarr

To check the health of the hard drive you can run the Apple Diagnostics, but it will not detect most drive failures. @Barney-15E's suggestion to check the SMART status in Disk Utility is unlikely to show a failure unless your drive is basically dead. I've only seen the "SMART status failed" twice in 20 years, but I've replaced hundreds if not thousands of failing or worn out drives in that time.

A better way of checking the health of the hard drive is to run DriveDx. Post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Apr 7, 2021 12:32 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you @HWTech @KShaffer @Barney15-E. !!!

Seriously thank you for all the info and such prompt replies. I immediately tried out DriveDX amazing little program. I went ahead and added the report with some redacted personal info. It was pretty obvious that my drive is failing, but I love how the program presented me with all the information and thank you for the tips on what to look out for within DriveDX.

My external SSD came yesterday I'm about to do the switch right now. Everything is already backed up :)

Thank you this is going to help me diagnose some other iMacs around the office that have had me going in circles.

Regards,

Julian

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Apr 2, 2021 6:16 PM in response to Barney-15E

An example, from first run DriveDX just downloaded & run:

So would the list of 'Health Indicators' in DriveDX show preference or hardware failure

should one 'Load Cycle Count' (life span indicator) say the drive has 4,071,744 ~ with

Current: 1 / Worst: 1 / Threshold: 0 / levels. Gauge, right side, shows 1% w/ ! circled..?

Maybe proof a failure could happen soon. Or not.

This seems to indicate an unusual difference in just one category.

[While Etrecheck and Console showed much activity with an

attempt to re-install adobeARMDC, the Log files showed 'Crash

Reports' from both adobe.ARMDC.JobBlessHelper and adobe.

ARMDC.Communicator; for some unknown reason, once these

get re-installed, they run rampant. ~ When removed, seem well.]

..My answer has been to make sure any update Adobe installer doesn't run..

A months-long study of these factors; & startup drive status, inconclusive.

So the OP may have some research to perform and study the

actual problem(s) within hardware -and/or- software issues.

And have suitable backups to external drives, devices + clones.

Apr 2, 2021 6:36 PM in response to K Shaffer

FYI, any SMART attribute that is considered a "life-span" attribute means that the drive may be able to continue functioning normally once the "Value" or "Worst" reaches the "Threshold" (the "Value" and "Worst" will never go below "001" while "Threshold" is "000"). A "life-span" indicator means the manufacturer only expects the drive to function normally as long as the "Value" or "Worst" never reaches "001" or the "Threshold". DriveDx indicates when one of the drive's "life-span" attributes reaches the "Threshold" by showing a "Warning". Personally I find a hard drive begins to get much slower and act oddly once the Load Cycle Count reaches the "Threshold" and shows a "Warning" status in DriveDx.

When DriveDx reports an attribute is "Failing", then that means the drive is most likely having physical issues or will soon fail. A failing attribute will have its "Worst" at "001" which is also the "Threshold".

Usually you want to replace your hard drive whenever DriveDx reports any "Warnings" or "Failures". If you have an SSD, then things are a bit different since apps like DriveDx do not always properly interpret the heath of an SSD. DriveDx and similar apps are still good so that those SMART attributes can be manually monitored and manually interpreted.

Always good advice to make sure apps are always fully up to date.

Apr 7, 2021 6:42 PM in response to Julmbarr

FYI, in addition to the "Current Pending Sectors" indicating a hardware issue of bad blocks, the "Load Cycle Count" is way beyond the manufacturer's lifetime expectations for the drive (at least 5x - 10x since most drives only have a lifetime value of 500K to 800K for the RAW value of this attribute) so the drive would likely have been getting really slow and possibly having odd issues as well.

How can you tell your hard drive is failing, other than running an Etre check.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.