Related Article: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling OS X

I’m trying to factory reset my MacBook Pro (mid 2009) I’ve gotten to the part where I have to select to reinstall OS X but I just get a pop up saying “this item is temporarily unavailable”. Any help?

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 5:36 PM

Jrecks wrote:

I’m trying to factory reset my MacBook Pro (mid 2009) I’ve gotten to the part where I have to select to reinstall OS X but I just get a pop up saying “this item is temporarily unavailable”. Any help?

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

From Recovery Or better yet internet Recovery, install any macOS that it presents to you if you are having an issue.

If there was a Firmware update along the way you may not be able to go back to "factory"

Alternatively from another Mac you can download older macOS— verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links:

older macOS installer backups on this server:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

You can make a bootable USBinstaller—

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If no luck— visit an Apple Store for assistance.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 5:36 PM in response to Jrecks

Jrecks wrote:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

From Recovery Or better yet internet Recovery, install any macOS that it presents to you if you are having an issue.

If there was a Firmware update along the way you may not be able to go back to "factory"

Alternatively from another Mac you can download older macOS— verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links:

older macOS installer backups on this server:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

You can make a bootable USBinstaller—

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If no luck— visit an Apple Store for assistance.

Reinstalling OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.