Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change what character is presented when I press shift-6?

When I am typing, such as in this window or other editors, shift-6 will present the caret symbol - ^.

Sometimes I need to type the "not sign" symbol - which I cannot even type to show but it is a horizontal line with a small down vertical line attached at the end (on the right).

But if that is not clear, as an example, I would like to change shift-6 to be a different symbol, such as '$'.

System preferences->keyboard would be the natural place to allow this redefinition, but it does not let me modify what a given key will type.

Thank you so much to those who can help me with this topic.

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 8:05 AM

The change keyboard mappings you really need to create a custom layout with an app like Ukelele

https://software.sil.org/ukelele/

but most keyboards already have $. For US it is Shift 4. Also ¬. For US that is Option L. So a new mapping is not needed to make them.

What keyboard language are you using?

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 3, 2021 7:30 AM in response to jwrey01

The symbols generated are based on what keyboard 'input source' you have selected. Many US users are using 'U.S.'

For the logical negation sign in that keyboard input source, try Control-L or ¬

For different symbols used rarely, you can use Keyboard Viewer or the 'Emoji & Symbols' pane that comes with it.

if you need to assign a particular symbol to a particular key-combination:

system preferences > keyboard > shortcuts can be used.

Use the Keyboard Viewer on Mac - Apple Support

How do I change what character is presented when I press shift-6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.