Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Card has been overpaid

My Apple Card has been overpaid how do I collect the overpayment

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 5:45 AM

I have the same problem. I called Goldman Sachs using the number in the Apple Card Payments area. It's a 24-hour support line and they respond really quickly. They told me that they could raise a case number and I would get a call after they looked at my account in more detail. In the meantime I built a spreadsheet of all my transactions to see if I could balance the account. I couldn't.

I find that the Apple Card transactions are hard to reconcile, especially when paying for two products or more using installments. Here are some of the reasons:

1. The transactions do not provide information as to where the extra payments go. You have to remember that if you are trying to prepay the second product you bought the payment will go to the first product you bought, which reduces the number of installments you pay. You may not want this. In my case I had no intention of paying off the 2-year installment plan on my iPhone. I wanted to pay extra off my Mac mini, which is a 1-year installment plan.
  2. If you make an extra payment in the middle of the month, it will be allocated to the monthly installment of your first product until that monthly installment is paid off..

Here's what I did: In a spreadsheet put two columns showing date and amount paid for each of the product installments. Sum these columns for each product. Next, add two columns showing date and amount paid extra in all the months you have been paying. You do not need to know which product the amount is going to. Add this third column up. Initially and see if the allocation amounts added to the extra payments totals match how much you owe after you subtract the from the product prices you paid. I found that they did not but fortunately the difference is less than $100 in my case.

The other complications are the daily cash awards and any items you may have purchased using your Apple Card. Card purchases are subject to interest if you do not pay them on time. Also if you have any refunds you have to factor those in. Daily cash rewards will be adjusted on returns.

The Goldman Sachs person was very good He tried to reconcile everything but it takes quite a while and so he gave me a case number and said that someone from Goldman Sachs would get back in touch with me.

I will continue to use the Apple Card but I intend to manage payments very carefully and so I have devised a method for avoiding the reconciliation problem. My balance will be zero in another week and if I buy anything other than Apple products after that I will pay it off within a week. If I buy another product on a 2-year installment plan I will buy a product on a 1-year plan first so that my 2-year installments are not impacted by prepayments. Alternatively, I will not purchase another Apple product on Apple Card until the first product is paid off.

I expect Goldman Sachs will refund any overpayments to the Apple Card but I suspect that it's just the lack of transparency that makes it difficult to reconcile that's the main hiccup. The statements don't really help very much I have found, but I did download them all to my Mac. Good Luck. Goldman Sachs support people are empathetic and willing to help as much as they can. That's a big plus.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 5:45 AM in response to geogreggs

I have the same problem. I called Goldman Sachs using the number in the Apple Card Payments area. It's a 24-hour support line and they respond really quickly. They told me that they could raise a case number and I would get a call after they looked at my account in more detail. In the meantime I built a spreadsheet of all my transactions to see if I could balance the account. I couldn't.

I find that the Apple Card transactions are hard to reconcile, especially when paying for two products or more using installments. Here are some of the reasons:

1. The transactions do not provide information as to where the extra payments go. You have to remember that if you are trying to prepay the second product you bought the payment will go to the first product you bought, which reduces the number of installments you pay. You may not want this. In my case I had no intention of paying off the 2-year installment plan on my iPhone. I wanted to pay extra off my Mac mini, which is a 1-year installment plan.
  2. If you make an extra payment in the middle of the month, it will be allocated to the monthly installment of your first product until that monthly installment is paid off..

Here's what I did: In a spreadsheet put two columns showing date and amount paid for each of the product installments. Sum these columns for each product. Next, add two columns showing date and amount paid extra in all the months you have been paying. You do not need to know which product the amount is going to. Add this third column up. Initially and see if the allocation amounts added to the extra payments totals match how much you owe after you subtract the from the product prices you paid. I found that they did not but fortunately the difference is less than $100 in my case.

The other complications are the daily cash awards and any items you may have purchased using your Apple Card. Card purchases are subject to interest if you do not pay them on time. Also if you have any refunds you have to factor those in. Daily cash rewards will be adjusted on returns.

The Goldman Sachs person was very good He tried to reconcile everything but it takes quite a while and so he gave me a case number and said that someone from Goldman Sachs would get back in touch with me.

I will continue to use the Apple Card but I intend to manage payments very carefully and so I have devised a method for avoiding the reconciliation problem. My balance will be zero in another week and if I buy anything other than Apple products after that I will pay it off within a week. If I buy another product on a 2-year installment plan I will buy a product on a 1-year plan first so that my 2-year installments are not impacted by prepayments. Alternatively, I will not purchase another Apple product on Apple Card until the first product is paid off.

I expect Goldman Sachs will refund any overpayments to the Apple Card but I suspect that it's just the lack of transparency that makes it difficult to reconcile that's the main hiccup. The statements don't really help very much I have found, but I did download them all to my Mac. Good Luck. Goldman Sachs support people are empathetic and willing to help as much as they can. That's a big plus.

My Apple Card has been overpaid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.