Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore contacts in iCloud isn't restoring my contacts

My contacts got wiped out during the latest iOS update, reverting to several years ago. I've tried restoring contacts through iCloud.com, choosing a date a few days ago and clicking restore, but I still have the years-out-of date contacts. The contacts, under the iCloud setting on my phone, are turned on.

What can I do?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 12:23 AM

Was iPhone always syncing with a Mac ( signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network ) Set up and use iCloud Contacts - Apple Support and you never deleted the contacts from any where ( from iPhone / Mac and iCloud.com ) , them in that scenarios the contacts will always be saved even the versions are changed .

If you delete contacts from iPhone or Mac they are immediately erased and not moved in recently deleted so if you go to advanced section the contacts will not be found .

If you were using a single iPhone and it never synced with Mac and you delete the contacts from device itself they are immediately erased and can't be recovered , as iPhone data base is very less compared to Mac .

this article is for Mac for restoring deleted contacts from advanced section with previous versions If you accidentally deleted your calendars, bookmarks, or contacts from iCloud - Apple Support

It doesn't matter you have turned on contacts box in iPhone / Mac , they will only sync the contacts with iCloud , the contacts deleted only from Mac are kept till 30 days after that they are erased permanently from Mac / iCloud and will never be recovered .

See the thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252621643?answerId=254939633022#254939633022

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 12:23 AM in response to DarylHMiller

Was iPhone always syncing with a Mac ( signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network ) Set up and use iCloud Contacts - Apple Support and you never deleted the contacts from any where ( from iPhone / Mac and iCloud.com ) , them in that scenarios the contacts will always be saved even the versions are changed .

If you delete contacts from iPhone or Mac they are immediately erased and not moved in recently deleted so if you go to advanced section the contacts will not be found .

If you were using a single iPhone and it never synced with Mac and you delete the contacts from device itself they are immediately erased and can't be recovered , as iPhone data base is very less compared to Mac .

this article is for Mac for restoring deleted contacts from advanced section with previous versions If you accidentally deleted your calendars, bookmarks, or contacts from iCloud - Apple Support

It doesn't matter you have turned on contacts box in iPhone / Mac , they will only sync the contacts with iCloud , the contacts deleted only from Mac are kept till 30 days after that they are erased permanently from Mac / iCloud and will never be recovered .

See the thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252621643?answerId=254939633022#254939633022

restore contacts in iCloud isn't restoring my contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.