Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music library file cannot be saved

An unknown error occurred (-3201). What does it mean

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 4:19 AM

It would suggest there was a problem saving your Music library database. Reboot your computer. Press and hold down option+cmd as you launch Music to open it in safe mode. Check over the library to see that it has your contents. Close Music and see if will now reopen and close without error. If you're not already backing up your library with Time Machine or some other mechanism start now.

tt2

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 4:19 AM in response to cathyfromtiaro

It would suggest there was a problem saving your Music library database. Reboot your computer. Press and hold down option+cmd as you launch Music to open it in safe mode. Check over the library to see that it has your contents. Close Music and see if will now reopen and close without error. If you're not already backing up your library with Time Machine or some other mechanism start now.

tt2

Apr 25, 2021 10:33 AM in response to turingtest2

Coming perhaps late to the thread, I have a similar problem, but the error I receive is 'The Music Library File cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-54). I have followed turingtest's advice and even added a file to the database, but when I reboot the file has gone. On checking the file library even the path to the media file as gone. Any further suggestions?

crusheen

May 5, 2021 7:49 AM in response to turingtest2

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been otherwise occupied. None of your suggestions helped, so I took the easy route and created a new library. (Should have thought of that before). I also did a complete review of my Apps folder and cleared out some of the now redundant progs. Everything now seems to work OK. I hope this might be of use to someone in the future, but anyway, many thanks for your assistance

crusheen

Jun 25, 2021 5:54 PM in response to cathyfromtiaro

turingtest2, I'm sorry that Crusheen's exit caused you not to continue your great help with this problem. I followed your suggestion to open the package to my .musiclibrary file, and sure enough I had a ton of temp files. The error message ["The Music Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-3201"] pops up every few seconds, although I can still play my library. But I can't Import an album any more without the error.

I've researched like crazy, and cannot find a solution for this.

Using Big Sur 11.4 on a Late 2015 iMac, 40MB memory.

Jun 26, 2021 2:32 PM in response to turingtest2

I just have the free version of Malwarebytes, latest version, which just works manually & no way to define exclusions. I deleted the .tmp files, launched into safe mode. When I closed/reopened Music the error appears the same--every few seconds--without my doing anything.

I neglected to tell you my collection resides on my Synology server, and has worked fine there for several months. I'm just recently getting all these errors. Here's what my files look like--anything look off to you?

Jun 26, 2021 7:41 PM in response to turingtest2

I tried placing the .musiclibrary file locally (~Music), and for a minute I thought that was going to work. But no dice, I still get the -3201 error. So I've moved my whole Music operation onto a local drive, and it's working great; I can now import, and am not getting any errors. I don't know why Apple stays so fussy about servers—Time Machine is glitchy with servers, too.

Thanks for your always-helpful responses, tt2.

Music library file cannot be saved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.