Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t get my iMac to power on

how do I get my iMac to power on?

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 1:39 PM

Unplug the power cord from the back of your iMac for about 10 seconds and then plug back in again and try to power on with the Power key.

If that works and the iMac either shuts down unexpectedly or refuses to power up after normal shut down without pulling the power cord you have a failing power supply.

I had the same problem with an iMac. After many calls to Apple Support they had me backup the drive, erase it and reinstall just a new system. This was to confirm that it was hardware and not software related.

Keep an eye on it and make sure you have a current an full backup at all times. It the problem persists you'll need to contact an Apple Genius Bar(if the iMac is newer than a 2012 iMac) or an Authorized Apple Service Provider.  If newer than 2012 Apple will provide a free diagnostic check and let you know how much it will cost to repair. AASP's usually charge for diagnostic services.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 1:39 PM in response to PRiMac

Unplug the power cord from the back of your iMac for about 10 seconds and then plug back in again and try to power on with the Power key.

If that works and the iMac either shuts down unexpectedly or refuses to power up after normal shut down without pulling the power cord you have a failing power supply.

I had the same problem with an iMac. After many calls to Apple Support they had me backup the drive, erase it and reinstall just a new system. This was to confirm that it was hardware and not software related.

Keep an eye on it and make sure you have a current an full backup at all times. It the problem persists you'll need to contact an Apple Genius Bar(if the iMac is newer than a 2012 iMac) or an Authorized Apple Service Provider.  If newer than 2012 Apple will provide a free diagnostic check and let you know how much it will cost to repair. AASP's usually charge for diagnostic services.

I can’t get my iMac to power on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.