Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleted files from an external drive not showing in trash

Hi, would be very grateful for help.

I've been transferring TV shows that I recorded onto DVD years ago, to hard drive in MP4 format. I have an iMac in the basement connected to two TV's so I can watch. I have been ripping the DVD's to my Mac mini in the office and then transferring them to an external drive connected to the iMac in the basement.

From the office I was connected to the iMac and I accidentally deleted a folder on the external drive. I immediately aborted when I realized files were being deleted, you know how it counts down the files. The folder I actually wanted to delete had a similar name but with no files.

No problem I thought, I went to trash on the iMac but those MP4 files were not there. Now, they are large 2-5gb each. But, the other day I deleted a similar large file but I did that directly from the iMac and not remotely from the Mac mini in the office. But that file was there in trash but none of the files that I had deleted remotely! I don't know if this makes a difference. but even when I go down to the iMac and look in trash directly I don't see those files.

I would appreciate any help, those files must be still on that disk and I haven't loaded more to overwrite them.

I hope I haven't confused by explaining the two computers but it seems that it could be relevant.

Many thanks

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 4:23 PM

How you connect to another computer and how you delete files can make a difference whether the files first go to the Trash or whether they are deleted immediately. If you are connected to a Shared network folder, then deleting the file will cause it to be immediately removed.

You can use a data recover app such as Data Rescue or Photo Rec to attempt to recover the deleted files assuming the external drive is a hard drive. If the external drive is an SSD, then those files are long gone due to how SSDs work. You need to stop writing to that drive immediately or you risk overwriting the files you seek.

Edit: You should always have frequent & regular backups of all media which contain important and unique data.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2021 4:23 PM in response to kaikamara

How you connect to another computer and how you delete files can make a difference whether the files first go to the Trash or whether they are deleted immediately. If you are connected to a Shared network folder, then deleting the file will cause it to be immediately removed.

You can use a data recover app such as Data Rescue or Photo Rec to attempt to recover the deleted files assuming the external drive is a hard drive. If the external drive is an SSD, then those files are long gone due to how SSDs work. You need to stop writing to that drive immediately or you risk overwriting the files you seek.

Edit: You should always have frequent & regular backups of all media which contain important and unique data.

Apr 4, 2021 6:17 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks so much. That explains it. I still have the DVD’s but we’re talking about 80+ which is a pain to redo. I do backup to backblaze but the thought of downloading a few hundred gigs is not appealing. It is a hard drive so I will look into those solutions. Very interesting that SSD works so different.

I appreciate your time, many thanks

deleted files from an external drive not showing in trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.