Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother HL-L2300D Used to Work...

My new MacBook Pro (late 2020, M1, Big Sur) originally worked with the Brother driver I downloaded for my HL-L2300D printer. NB: This model does NOT use wifi; USB connection only. Then I updated (as recommended of course) to OS 11.2.3 & now "no printer available". There is no compatible driver from Brother at all anymore. iPrint & Scan or Airprint is offered instead.

Is there anything I can do to still use my printer? My understanding is that Airprint etc. require wifi connected printer.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 6:14 PM

7 replies

Apr 5, 2021 2:19 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for your response. The printer was not listed in Printers & scanners in System Preferences. (I noticed when I got it to work that one day the volume & .dmg file were on my desktop; I had since deleted them.) The link you kindly provided gave me the same info I had previously found. When I select 11.xx for the OS I get a new chart with no printer driver to download but the message: "We recommend using AirPrint. If your machine does not support AirPrint, download Brother iPrint&Scan from the App Store."

So I find myself back where I was when I posted the original question.

I appreciate your time. Thanks.

Apr 28, 2021 9:56 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi All, & Shanny64 in particular:

VikingOSX's opinions aside, I did find a way to keep my Brother HL-L2300D printer! There is, after all, a solution to this. I downloaded Brother;s iPrint&Scan. Then, reading & following the directions (!) I selected the USB option & was then able to select my "machine" aka printer. Finally, I was given two printing options: Photo or PDF. Since I want to print documents, I have to convert the document files to PDFs. Clunky & not ideal, but at least it is a workable solution. & you don't have to waste your toner & buy a new "machine".

YAY!!

Apr 28, 2021 9:19 AM in response to Shanny64

Of course not.

Apple is not responsible for vendor decisions to end product support on a given operating system. Apple provided the software development tools (SDK) in June 2020 that Brother could have used to create Big Sur compatible drivers and they evidently chose not to do so for the HL-L2300D device.

Although the HL-L2305W device is supported by Apple's AirPrint for networked printers, the HL-L2300D is not, and according to Brother, the HL-L2300D is not compatible with their iPrint & Scan software available from the Mac App Store.

Brother HL-L2300D Used to Work...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.