Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod request = AirPlay on iPhone?

With a recent HomePod OS upgrade in the past few months I notice something weird.

If I request a song from my HomePod via “hey Siri” the song will play on my HomePod, but it will also initiate Airplay from the nearest iPhone in my ecosystem. So if I ask my HomePod to play “I Am The Walrus”, it will play.... but I’ll notice it’s being played from my iPhone connected to WiFi.

This was never the case before as the HomePod played music independently from any other device. Why must I turn off WiFi on all my iPhones and iPads if I don’t want that to happen?????

Also, I would have thought the latest HomePod OS update would’ve fixed that. NOPE!!!!

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 4, 2021 10:34 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 5, 2021 5:16 AM in response to KHonnoll

Certainly odd behaviour. Have you previously used the phone to play simultaneously from its own speakers and HomePod? Perhaps the arrangement of selected devices has got locked in somehow? I know that if I link up my Apple TV to HomePod, then later playing music can wake up the Apple TV. Or is the iPhone merely acting independently to the same request. If you place your iPhone face down it shouldn't respond to Siri requests.

tt2

Apr 5, 2021 1:09 PM in response to turingtest2

I have used it previously for Airplay. It was never a problem until a couple of OS updates ago. And it's not just my ecosystem doing it.

I performed a similar experiment at my mother's house. Bought her a HomePod Mini in December. She has an iPhone and iPad. Whenever requesting a song from her Mini, SAME THING. Either the iPad or iPhone "reverse Airplay" the song.

In both cases, "hey, Siri" was turned off of every device but the HomePods. Devices were laid down and at rest. Something else that is odd is that this happens 80% of the time....not 100% of the time. I'm convinced it's a bug. It's highly unnecessary and I'm sure you can see how this is not an intended feature to the ecosystem.

HomePod request = AirPlay on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.