Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App switching on iPad is broken

App switching on my iPad is broken. I only switch between e.g. Safari and one other app (e.g. Pages) and the website already reloads when switching back. Same for other apps. Often apps “reload” as if I killed them. This is super annoying because normal workflows like taking some notes no longer work.

I guess my iPad might be low on RAM so iOS keeps restarting the apps.

Is there a way to diagnose and prevent this, I’d like to find out what’s hogging all this RAM making my iPad so frustrating to use.

Thank you

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 2:02 AM

A forced-restart may be helpful - as this will often resolve an isolated software issue. The restart will also release RAM to the the system:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If you are looking for greater insight into the your system and loaded resources, there are some diagnostic Apps that may be helpful with troubleshooting issues. One that comes to mind the System Status Pro: hw monitor:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/system-status-pro-hw-monitor/id401457165

Don’t expect a magic bullet as the iOS/iPadOS sandbox security architecture restricts the function of utilities such as these - but they can provide useful information.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2021 2:02 AM in response to Michael[0-9]-__

A forced-restart may be helpful - as this will often resolve an isolated software issue. The restart will also release RAM to the the system:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If you are looking for greater insight into the your system and loaded resources, there are some diagnostic Apps that may be helpful with troubleshooting issues. One that comes to mind the System Status Pro: hw monitor:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/system-status-pro-hw-monitor/id401457165

Don’t expect a magic bullet as the iOS/iPadOS sandbox security architecture restricts the function of utilities such as these - but they can provide useful information.

App switching on iPad is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.