Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iMac running Mojave. Will "Preview" work in "safe Mode"?

Trying to figure out why my iMac keeps crashing, so I booted up in "Safe Mode" but now I can't get "Preview" to open .jpeg files. Is the reason because "Preview" doesn't function in "Safe Mode"?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 6:13 AM

Preview works fine in Safe mode.

Safe mode loads more conservative drivers, but they are functional. Safe mode also does not load 3rd party kernel extensions, nor 3rd party launch agents and daemons, and it does not run your login items. Safe mode clears the kernel cache, and does a file system check while booting. Otherwise Safe mode is close to normal mode.

Please post the kernel panics you are getting. Maybe it is something we have seen before and can offer suggestions.

Finder -> Go (menu) -> Go to folder -> /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Command-Shift-Period will show invisible files. Look for files that end in the word .panic or .contents.panic and post them in an Additional Text box

Press Command-Shift-Period to hid the Finder invisible files again.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2021 6:13 AM in response to BigEd48

Preview works fine in Safe mode.

Safe mode loads more conservative drivers, but they are functional. Safe mode also does not load 3rd party kernel extensions, nor 3rd party launch agents and daemons, and it does not run your login items. Safe mode clears the kernel cache, and does a file system check while booting. Otherwise Safe mode is close to normal mode.

Please post the kernel panics you are getting. Maybe it is something we have seen before and can offer suggestions.

Finder -> Go (menu) -> Go to folder -> /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Command-Shift-Period will show invisible files. Look for files that end in the word .panic or .contents.panic and post them in an Additional Text box

Press Command-Shift-Period to hid the Finder invisible files again.

I have an iMac running Mojave. Will "Preview" work in "safe Mode"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.