Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is mai ssD almost full?

My [new, external] SSD in iMac shows I have 10 gig in Apps. 18 in library, 15 in System, and 13 in User. Yet the SSD (per Mack Storage Manage) seems to have only 18 gig out of 479 gig available. What's taking up all that space? Is there anything I can do about it? This is with Big Sur.

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 9:50 AM

Select the last GC SSD - Data, the one without the "home" icon on the orange/silver drive. Rename this one to "Extra Drive" or something like that.

Now, go to Finder > Go > Computer, look at that newly renamed volume, and move any data you need to the regular GC SSD.

Now, delete the extra newly renamed volume. (Again the one without the "home" icon on the orange/silver drive.)

1. Go to Disk Utility. (Finder > Go > Utilities)
  2. Select the last volume in the sidebar. (that you renamed.)
  3. Hit the "-" in the toolbar.

Cheers,

Jack

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2021 9:50 AM in response to Glenn Cheney

Select the last GC SSD - Data, the one without the "home" icon on the orange/silver drive. Rename this one to "Extra Drive" or something like that.

Now, go to Finder > Go > Computer, look at that newly renamed volume, and move any data you need to the regular GC SSD.

Now, delete the extra newly renamed volume. (Again the one without the "home" icon on the orange/silver drive.)

1. Go to Disk Utility. (Finder > Go > Utilities)
  2. Select the last volume in the sidebar. (that you renamed.)
  3. Hit the "-" in the toolbar.

Cheers,

Jack

Apr 6, 2021 7:09 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi, Jack. Thanks for helping. I am using an OWC SSD. I use it as my startup disk. I want to use my internal HD only for data (documents, etc.). Screenshot attached. See how I have 2 volumes (or whatever they are) called GC SSD - Data. Do I need them both? If I need only one, which one do I need? Any how do I get rid of the other one?

Please note that I have no idea of the meanings of volume, reject, eject, unmount, mount point, APFS, PC

i-Express, or container disk.

Why is mai ssD almost full?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.