Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original files missing from Photos app

Recently discovered that I can't access the original files of a bunch of my photos from 2013-2014. When I try to share or edit or do anything with these photos in the Photos app I get the following message: The operation couldn’t be completed. (PHResourceDownloadRequestErrorDomain error 0.) The photos appear to be low-res preview versions and not the original full-res. I'm connected to iCloud/internet, so I see the same photos across my devices but always get the same error message no matter the device.

I assume this means the original files are missing or corrupted? This appears to be the case with all of the photos from that time period, which were taken on a digital camera then imported to Photos. The Photos Library file on the computer (Mid 2015 MacBook Pro) I originally imported them to says it's 100GB so it would appear it still has some files in it, but is there any way to view the actual files?

I already tried Repairing the Library (OPTION + COMMAND) but to no avail. I'm really confused what changed. I recently erased a bunch of old Time Machine backups from an external drive, but I wouldn't think that would affect the Photos Library, which is stored locally. But it was only after I did that that I first noticed this problem so I can't help but connect the two.

I'm running Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H114).

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 6:58 AM

Is there perhaps a problem with your cloud storage? Have you used up all cloud storage you have subscribed to? Then Photos may not be able to download photos from iCloud, until you free cloud storage, so iCloud will work again properly.

If you have photos in your library that have been imported as referenced files, without copying them into your library, you should not be seeing them on your other devices, because referenced files are stored only locally and cannot sync with iCloud Photos to other devices.

You can check, if your library contains referenced images in three ways:

• Create a smart album (File > new smart album) with the rule "Photo is referenced". Is this smart album empty?
  • Enable badge overlays: Goto the "View" menu and enable "Metadata > File Type". Referenced photos will be shown with an arrow badge overlay on the icon. are you seeing any arrows?
  • Look at the status bar (About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support) below the Photos tab in the Library view. Does it show items "On this Mac only"?

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2021 6:58 AM in response to jqflem

Is there perhaps a problem with your cloud storage? Have you used up all cloud storage you have subscribed to? Then Photos may not be able to download photos from iCloud, until you free cloud storage, so iCloud will work again properly.

If you have photos in your library that have been imported as referenced files, without copying them into your library, you should not be seeing them on your other devices, because referenced files are stored only locally and cannot sync with iCloud Photos to other devices.

You can check, if your library contains referenced images in three ways:

• Create a smart album (File > new smart album) with the rule "Photo is referenced". Is this smart album empty?
  • Enable badge overlays: Goto the "View" menu and enable "Metadata > File Type". Referenced photos will be shown with an arrow badge overlay on the icon. are you seeing any arrows?
  • Look at the status bar (About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support) below the Photos tab in the Library view. Does it show items "On this Mac only"?

Apr 6, 2021 8:45 PM in response to Russ New Boy

Hi Russ, thanks for your suggestion. I found that I can export the original version of the photo no problem, but when I try exporting the edited version it returns the following error messages:

The first error message is from my MacBook (where I originally imported the photo), the second is from another device (MacMini). They are two different photos, to be clear, but from the same batch of affected files. Hitting "Reveal in Finder" does nothing.

I guess it isn't a huge deal if the edited versions are missing as long as I have the originals, but is there any way to recover them? Why would they be missing? My iCloud isn't anywhere near full (62GB avail). Would it mean they've been corrupted somehow?

Thanks

Apr 6, 2021 5:30 AM in response to jqflem

Have you ever use a referenced library rather than copying the photo files into the library package?

Its hard to tell whether the original file is missing or is the library has become corrupted and lost the link with the original (even if that original does exist inside the library package). Reparing the library can help, although clearly not in your case. Do you have an old Time Machine backup that you can restore? I suffered a library corruption sometime ago and managed to recover most of the lost items from a TM backup - although merging the old and new libraries was quite painful.

Have you tried exporting both the original file and edited file, it may be that only one of them is missing.

You can try downloading Power Photos (the free version is fine). If you browse your library within Power Photos and then right click on one of the missing photos it will show you the link to the location of the file within the package. However if the option is greyed out then it means the file location is lost.

Failing that, you can open the Photos package and browse through the folders containing all of the actual photo files but they are not meant for users and so the folder structure and re-naming will make life very difficult.

Apr 6, 2021 8:53 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for your suggestion, léonie. I tried it and there are no referenced photos in the library. However, the status bar on the bottom says "Restoring from iCloud" with the bar probably 99% of the way to the top. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

I also checked the "unable to upload" folder and none of them are the photos in question. I exported and deleted those and still have the "Restoring from iCloud" in the status bar.

Following Russ' suggestion (above), I found that the edited versions of the photos appear to be missing, but not the originals.

Any idea what that might be about?

Thanks

Apr 7, 2021 1:46 AM in response to jqflem

jqflem wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion, léonie. I tried it and there are no referenced photos in the library. However, the status bar on the bottom says "Restoring from iCloud" with the bar probably 99% of the way to the top. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

Following Russ' suggestion (above), I found that the edited versions of the photos appear to be missing, but not the originals.
Any idea what that might be about?

Thanks

The "Restoring from iCloud" may hang, if items in iCloud are in a file format, that Catalina can no longer read, because the system has no support for some older Legacy codecs or colour sync profiles

If the edited versions are not available, you ma have applied filters, that have been replaced by other filters in newer system versions, or - as Tony suggested - used external editors, that are saving the edited versions in an incompatible format.

Apr 7, 2021 11:33 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks, Tony -- that solved it. Kind of annoying I'll have to do that for hundreds of images, but better than losing them altogether. Even more annoying is the fact that I never used an external editor, just whatever version of Photos that existed in 2013... Weird that Apple would make its old edits incompatible, but re-editing can be fun sometimes. Thanks again.

Original files missing from Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.