Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shut down or Sleep?

Hi, I just saw a video that recommends just sleep mac when not using. For example, when I go to bed, should I shut or sleep my mac?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2021 6:21 AM

phoenix140 wrote:

Hi, I just saw a video that recommends just sleep mac when not using. For example, when I go to bed, should I shut or sleep my mac?

I would never shut down unless absolutely necessary.

Closing the lid and let you mac sleep, is much more efficient. This is what sleep is meant for...

If you have to shutdown, let the macOS handle all the closing and opening of the applications running—this is much more efficient than you manually closing things down as well.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac - Apple ...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2021 6:21 AM in response to phoenix140

phoenix140 wrote:

I would never shut down unless absolutely necessary.

Closing the lid and let you mac sleep, is much more efficient. This is what sleep is meant for...

If you have to shutdown, let the macOS handle all the closing and opening of the applications running—this is much more efficient than you manually closing things down as well.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac - Apple ...

Shut down or Sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.