Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS diagnostic tools

Hi there,

My MacBook Pro 2015 with OS11.2.3 (latest Big Sur version to date) is behaving weirdly since yesterday: Safari and Spark (my mail app) have frozen twice with no reason and I had to force quit them. So far today this issue hasn't occurred again. The sidebar of my Finder has lost some of the favourite folders I had set and finally the desktop picture keep changing to an old one from time to time at restart.

I am not sure if these issues have are known OS issues or if I may have been victim of some malware. I run a diagnostic with "Clean my Mac" but no malware has been found. However I'm not sure how efficient this method is to find eventual malware.

Do you know how can I run an extensive diagnostic that would be able to find any malware, hacks or whatever is wrong with my Mac?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 3:56 AM

As very good article that includes links to some very good and reliable Applications that may suit your purposes What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

As for VPNs - they fall into the same category as Cra*ware. For the purposes of macOS - they too interfere with the Normal Operation of the OS and should only be used for Banking and or connecting to Company Business for working off-site.

If you really want to see what is causing less than top performance on the computer. EtreCheck, Witten by a Very Reliable Developer and frequent Respected and Trusted Contributor to these Forums. It is free to use or purchase for more features. It will give a look at both the Hardware and Software of the computer without revealing any personal info. To get the most of this Application - it should be run with Full Disk Access - Security and Privacy setting in System Preference and give Full Disk Access. Copy and Paste the Full Report by using " Additional Text " button at bottom of your Reply ( Third Icon from Last ).

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 3:56 AM in response to fabiom91

As very good article that includes links to some very good and reliable Applications that may suit your purposes What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

As for VPNs - they fall into the same category as Cra*ware. For the purposes of macOS - they too interfere with the Normal Operation of the OS and should only be used for Banking and or connecting to Company Business for working off-site.

If you really want to see what is causing less than top performance on the computer. EtreCheck, Witten by a Very Reliable Developer and frequent Respected and Trusted Contributor to these Forums. It is free to use or purchase for more features. It will give a look at both the Hardware and Software of the computer without revealing any personal info. To get the most of this Application - it should be run with Full Disk Access - Security and Privacy setting in System Preference and give Full Disk Access. Copy and Paste the Full Report by using " Additional Text " button at bottom of your Reply ( Third Icon from Last ).

Apr 7, 2021 3:23 AM in response to fabiom91

Sorry but " Clean my Mac " may have been the source of your issue or have made them worse. Strongly suggest Removing this Car*ware only as er the Developers Instruction. Do not just Drag and Drop Application to Trash as this will leave parts of this Car&ware behind. Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

If one believes malware was installed , use this Trusted and Reliable Application called Malwarebytes. Sometimes malware is downloaded from Third Party Site and not directly from Apple Store of Directly from Developer

Apr 7, 2021 3:38 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi there,

Thanks for your answer, I use Clean my Mac mostly to help me declutter my disk, it just happen to have also a malware detection functionality. I also have SurfShark as a VPN. Do you think they would mess up with MacOS? If so, do you know of any apps (maybe from apple itself) that could provide the same services: VPN and disk cleaning without interfering with the OS? (e.g. like the Malwarebytes you mentioned)

Apr 7, 2021 4:42 AM in response to PRP_53

that was an interesting report although I may simply go ahead and restore my Mac during the weekend. Regarding the VPN, is there no safe one for Mac? I can do without a disk cleaner but I really like the idea of not been tracked or served annoying ads online. Plus I live abroad and some websites require me to be in my country to access them.

Apr 7, 2021 4:55 AM in response to fabiom91

Thank you too ! :- )) ok, Commercial VPNs purport to keep you data Secure and Private - but the jury is out on that aspect. As the are Commercial - do they really keep thing Private ? Understand the possible want to be elsewhere to view on-line things in another Region but at whet cost - Privacy sold under the Guise of Secure.

Ad Blockers - I use one Free on Apple Store and works pretty well. Called " Ad and Stuff Blocker ". There are others on the Apple Apps Store - all a question of preference.

Do come back to these Forums if / or when addition questions arise. There are many knowledgeable Contributors willing to assist and offer possible solutions.

macOS diagnostic tools

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.