Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Air 2020 Keeps on overheating!

I have an issue with the Core i3.

Every time I use Google Chrome, the fans start turning on. This happens when Watching youTube or trying to sign in to Google.

I don't know how to fix it. Every time I try to sign in to Google, the fans would start turning on like I said to at least 5000rpm, sometimes 8000rpm (max speed).

It's Really weird!

I would get "Something went wrong"every time!

The same thing applies for watching videos, it takes forever to load - the fans turn on.

When the video finally finishes loading, it starts buffering a lot, but then returns back to normal with the fans still running at 3000-4000rpm.

Also, when trying to load a video or a heavy website will cause my Google Chat to say "Unable to connect to chat".

Dis had happened consistently. And is sometimes happens when loading any website, speaking of loading, some times when trying to load a Youtube video, I get "An error occurred. Please try again later.", and that can sometimes happen right away upon loading the video.

Also, when using the notification center in Big Sur, the Notification Center will freeze and give me the rainbow pinwheel of death.

I had to go into activity monitor and reset the Notification Center to normal.

Sometimes, parts of the MacOS system don't work unless reseting the Dock in activity monitor. I Restarted, I decongested everything, I did everything I could do and it still does this!

AAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Dis is the Core i3, It is laggy and it's overall not as efficient as the 16" Mac Book Pro!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 8:55 PM

funmilayo256 Said:

"Mac Book Air 2020 Keeps on overheating!: I don't think it's faulty, I've seen some other people with dis same Mac Book and Specs have the same problem as me. Also, They said that The CPU isn't connected to da fan for all units."

-------

Use the Activity Monitor:

See what it taking the most out of the CPU. Is it Google Chrome? Or is is something else? To Find Out, use Activity Monitor

1. Go to: Applications
  2. Select: Utilities folder
  3. Open: Activity Monitor
  4. Click: Memory column

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 8:55 PM in response to funmilayo256

funmilayo256 Said:

"Mac Book Air 2020 Keeps on overheating!: I don't think it's faulty, I've seen some other people with dis same Mac Book and Specs have the same problem as me. Also, They said that The CPU isn't connected to da fan for all units."

-------

Use the Activity Monitor:

See what it taking the most out of the CPU. Is it Google Chrome? Or is is something else? To Find Out, use Activity Monitor

1. Go to: Applications
  2. Select: Utilities folder
  3. Open: Activity Monitor
  4. Click: Memory column

Apr 7, 2021 11:46 AM in response to funmilayo256

funmilayo256 Said:

"Mac Book Air 2020 Keeps on overheating!: I am only trying to do simple tasks [...] It's 8-9 Months old."

-------

Get this Serviced:

Seems to be a faulty device. So, get this services. It comes with a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty. So, contact Apple Support, and have them look into this. If it is a faulty device, then they (Apple) will do their part to fix this.

Use Send-In Service:

Contact Apple Support, and see if you can send this in for service.

1. Apple: would send you a box
  2. You: would package it and send it to Apple
  3. Apple: would fix it or replace it, if applicable
  4. You: would receive it back from Apple

II. Contacting Apple Support:

A. Phone Support Info:

Contact Apple:

Use another device in the meantime. Also, place it atop a laptop cooler.

Apr 7, 2021 9:18 PM in response to funmilayo256

funmilayo256 Said:

"That's what I do all of the time. (Except, I look under CPU) I Always happen to see "Google Chrome Helper (Renderer)" taking up most of it. I've seen Not One, Not Two, Not Ten, But Twenty-Two Processes titled dat name!"

-------

Four Thoughts:

A. Remove First:

With so many processes shown, it seems you have a corrupt install. So, uninstall this software, restart the Mac, then reinstall it. Next, check the software for updates.

B. Seems to be a Common Issue:

See the below screenshot***. As of this reply, there is 4,770 posts on Apple Discussions Communities about this. View this Google Search Queue: google chrome helper taking up cpu site:discussions.apple.com

C. Stop Using it to Cool things Down:

So, can you just stop using it - simple enough of a solution. See this reply: Google Chrome Helper using 90%+ CPU from system startup on Big Sur despite Chrome not being open - Apple Community

D. Use another Computer:

If you have another computer (a PC, instead of a Mac), then use that.

---

***Screenshot of (B.):

Apr 7, 2021 11:32 AM in response to TheLittles

I am only trying to do simple tasks in Google Chrome for my school and it keeps on doing this. I watch school YouTube videos on Google Classroom, and it keeps on overheating; I use Safari for other stuff, and It runs perfectly fine, And Yes, The Core i3 should do what I need to do. It's 8-9 Months old.

Also, the fan spinning at 8000rpm sounds like some one is playing da cymbals right behind you, or as if you're using Your Mac in a Wind Tunnel

Also, I need to get an app to tell you how long da fan has been running for over time.

Apr 7, 2021 11:18 AM in response to funmilayo256

funmilayo256 Said:

"Mac Book Air 2020 Keeps on overheating! I have an issue with the Core i3. Every time I use Google Chrome, the fans start turning on. This happens when Watching youTube or trying to sign in to Google. I don't know how to fix it. [...]Dis is the Core i3, It is laggy and it's overall not as efficient as the 16" Mac Book Pro!"

-------

The CPU is the Culprit:

i5 and i7 are meant for multitasking. But, your CPU is not meant for such upheaval of data consumption. So, don't run one all at a time. If you need to run many, then use a another computer. How new is this Mac? You have 14 days to return it. So contact Apple, and see if a return is an option for you. Once returned, consider upgrading to a higher CPU. With more RAM, the more applications can run faster, technically. RAM puts items to the side so that your CPU can handle more data processing on its own. So, based on what you mentioned, get a Mac with an i5 or i7 CPU, and at least 16 GB of RAM.

Mac Book Air 2020 Keeps on overheating!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.