Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign in apple id on watch

I changed the password for my AppleID and now when I try to set things so that the watch will unlock the Mac, it says that the watch and the Mac must both be signed onto the same AppleID. The message says to sign in using the Watch app on the iPhone, but I can't find anywhere where it will let me do that. The Watch app shows the correct AppleID in General->AppleID. What am I missing?

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 2:00 PM

Thanks. I already discovered a solution - I signed out of my AppleID on the Mac, then signed back in and that fixed it. It seems that not all services in iCloud are signed into at the same time, and it takes several times of entering the password before everything is back to normal.

Thanks again for your response. I'll keep it handy as a reference.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2021 2:00 PM in response to Sparks0829

Thanks. I already discovered a solution - I signed out of my AppleID on the Mac, then signed back in and that fixed it. It seems that not all services in iCloud are signed into at the same time, and it takes several times of entering the password before everything is back to normal.

Thanks again for your response. I'll keep it handy as a reference.

Apr 8, 2021 1:02 PM in response to Paul Anderson

Hi there Paul Anderson,

Thanks for joining us in Apple Support Communities. From what we can tell, you're unable to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch because an alert appears indicating you must be signed in with the same Apple ID on both devices. We'r glad you're here, and we can provide some guidance.

To start, you'll want to be sure your Mac meets the system requirements for Auto Unlock. Have a look at the 'Auto Unlock' section of this link to check:

System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Next, did you sign in with your new Apple ID password on both your Mac, iPhone, and Apple Watch? Have a look at this link to be sure you've taken the proper steps after changing your password:

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

Next, follow the steps in the 'How to set up Auto Unlock' section of the support article below to attempt to set up Auto Unlock again, and let us know how it goes:

Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch

If the issue persists, be sure to take a closer look at the suggestions in the 'Learn more' section of the link above.

Take care.

Sign in apple id on watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.