Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got a new MacBook Pro (13-inch 2020) and want use an old iMac 27-inch (late 2013) as an external display. I connected the two computers with a thunderbolt cable. I used the "display" option in the preference but cannot activate the second monitor

I got a new MacBook Pro (13-inch 2020) and want use an old iMac 27-inch (late 2013) as an external monitor. I connected the two computers with a thunderbolt cable (with the right USB-C adaptor to connect i macbook pro) but I could not make it. I remember in the past when I could use another 27-inch iMac to my imac 27-in by pressing "command F2". But there is no "F2" button on the macbook pro keyboard! Any idea?

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 6:06 PM

A 2013 iMac cannot do Target Display Mode with a 2020 Mac. Apple removed that capability in early 2020, finishing the total deprecation of TDM that they started in late 2014. This is from the now-archived support article:

Had you a 2009 or 2010 27-inch iMac, it might work by accident. The video-in hardware on those two was different from newer (Mid 2011 to mid 2014) iMacs and far more forgiving.

You still have the option of network screen sharing:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 6:06 PM in response to esamaras

A 2013 iMac cannot do Target Display Mode with a 2020 Mac. Apple removed that capability in early 2020, finishing the total deprecation of TDM that they started in late 2014. This is from the now-archived support article:

Had you a 2009 or 2010 27-inch iMac, it might work by accident. The video-in hardware on those two was different from newer (Mid 2011 to mid 2014) iMacs and far more forgiving.

You still have the option of network screen sharing:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

I got a new MacBook Pro (13-inch 2020) and want use an old iMac 27-inch (late 2013) as an external display. I connected the two computers with a thunderbolt cable. I used the "display" option in the preference but cannot activate the second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.