Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2016 iMac Pro is very slow

I recently requested advice on my very slow 2016 iMac Pro. As suggested, I ran EntreCheck and discovered a failing hard drive (expected) and other problems. This was very helpful and resulted in some improvement. This help is much appreciated, thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 5:39 AM

Ok.. thanks for the reply., silverton97. There is no need to trash it or trade it in, but the ssd inside it will need to be replaced, which Apple will do for you.. but definely get a backup going and done beforehand.. so, as you said, get your checkbook, credit or debit card, make an appointment at your local Apple store and take ‘er in for service... no need to replace it, yet.. here’s to put in a service request:

link

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/mac/repair/service

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2021 5:39 AM in response to Silverton97

Ok.. thanks for the reply., silverton97. There is no need to trash it or trade it in, but the ssd inside it will need to be replaced, which Apple will do for you.. but definely get a backup going and done beforehand.. so, as you said, get your checkbook, credit or debit card, make an appointment at your local Apple store and take ‘er in for service... no need to replace it, yet.. here’s to put in a service request:

link

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/mac/repair/service

Apr 9, 2021 7:39 PM in response to Silverton97

Yes... i can help you.. silverton97...

1— get an external hard drive/SSD .. your iMac pro supports both USB-C and thunderbolt 3..

2-the drive should be roughly the same capacity/size as the one in your iMac pro.. either1,2 or 4 TB..

3-connect it to your imac pro while it’s turned off.

4- under Finder preferences make sure show external/removeable drives is turned on

using Disk Utility, format it ( the external drive) for Mac, as needed

5- turn on Time Machine app, which is built into the OS... after it’s turned on, point it to the external drive and DO A BACKUP.... backup everything... this will save your bacon... get the external drive, set up time machine and do it asap..

6- now you have Done a back up, do it and use it regularly, You can even schedule it to do it automatically once a week or once a month, whatever you like.

7-now that that important, basic and crucial thing is going and working

8-you can try something like data rescue 3 , Maybe disk warrior or tech tool pro to hopefully fix your hard drive enough, so that you can back your stuff up and you won’t be totally up the creek without a paddle. As for the failing hard drive itself, you would have to make an appointment with your local Genius bar , in your local Apple store and take it in for service. And Replacement of the SSD inside of it.You could also try finding a local AASP ( Apple authorized service provider) . Those are your options.

john b

Apr 18, 2021 9:39 AM in response to Johnb-one

John-one, Re. your April 9, 2021 post to Silvertron97

I got a Samsung T5 SSD to backup my hard drive. Two questions:

>Don't I need to copy/save an "image" of my hard drive vs. copies of files and folders?

>How do I do that?

>Don't I need to uninstall/remove unwanted content found with EntreCheck before backing up the hard drive?

Otherwise I'm just transferring my problems to my SSD

>How do I do that?

Thank you in advance,

Silverton97

2016 iMac Pro is very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.