Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does "Music" fail as a player.

On storing my CD collection on Music, my Albums are split into several pieces of an album. When you want to play a complete album you cannot. After many years experience with iTunes and found the biggest error with iTunes was the problem with "Various artists" button. This has been used to split compilations from individuals.

But, on most individuals CD's there may have been a "guest artist" that makes that specific tune closed as "Various Artists" and then the button "Various Artists" was used to indicate that! On iTunes that would split the album into several sections annoyingly.

Now after dealing with all that, "Music" now decides to split them into its own idea that they should be in. Having 150+ albums then really confuses the issue immensly!

When will Apple ever get it right. Why can they not employ a problem solver like myself to fish out silly issues like this!

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 2:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 1:40 PM

Mr..Bee wrote:

No longer interested in giving feedback or reviews because they are generally ignored. In other words a pointless exercise culminating in even more frustration. Only way to get somethings done is to debate them on websites like this that actually have more responses and more commitment. Therefore a better return of judgements on serious issues like this one!

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Apple's participation here is largely limited to make sure we don't break the rules. Apple doesn't read here for suggestions. Nor will they debate you here. And, no one who does post or read here has the ability to change Music. So, from a making change happen perspective, your posts here will certainly be ignored. In the time it took you to write this post, you could just as easily have posted to the Feedback page where Apple will read it.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 1:40 PM in response to Mr..Bee

Mr..Bee wrote:

No longer interested in giving feedback or reviews because they are generally ignored. In other words a pointless exercise culminating in even more frustration. Only way to get somethings done is to debate them on websites like this that actually have more responses and more commitment. Therefore a better return of judgements on serious issues like this one!

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Apple's participation here is largely limited to make sure we don't break the rules. Apple doesn't read here for suggestions. Nor will they debate you here. And, no one who does post or read here has the ability to change Music. So, from a making change happen perspective, your posts here will certainly be ignored. In the time it took you to write this post, you could just as easily have posted to the Feedback page where Apple will read it.

Apr 9, 2021 1:41 PM in response to Mr..Bee

Mr..Bee Said:

"Why does "Music" fail as a player.[...]Now after dealing with all that, "Music" now decides to split them into its own idea that they should be in. Having 150+ albums then really confuses the issue immensly!"

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Import Properly:

Perform as instructed Here: Import songs from CDs into Music on Mac - Apple Support

Or...

B. Reorganize:

How many songs are there? Just sort them all to how and where they should be. Organize playlists in folders in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Apr 10, 2021 3:12 PM in response to Mr..Bee

If iTunes or Music show multiple instances of an artist or an album then what generally works is to select all related tracks and use Song Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common:

• For an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks) *
  • For an artist; Album Artist (and Artist unless there are guest/featured artists listed which should not be changed)

Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. Occasionally it may help to close and reopen the application between the two renaming operations. Part of a compilation should also be set consistently.

* If tracks are to be synced to a non-iOS device there should be a common Artist and/or the album should be set as a Compilation.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any further problems. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

One further tip for really stubborn duplicates. At one point I had three lots of Various Artists in the artists view of my library that wouldn't respond to the usual trailing X treatment. What I found worked was to add the trailing X to start with, but then with each group that the application wanted to keep separate start typing a value and use the autocomplete from say Var... to Various Artists. Picking from the autocomplete lists seemed to work when pasting/editing the whole value didn't.

tt2

Apr 9, 2021 1:29 PM in response to ed2345

My issue: Get it right in the early stages causes less frustration. It's a simple issue.. An album is an album not a bunch of broken pieces that make an album. Jools Holland album for instance has 17 tunes on the CD. It was broken up into 8 pieces. So to listen to "The Album - Jools Holland - The Golden Age Of Song" you have to either change all the details or make a Playlist!

But, when you change the details, "Music" would change the files immediately after switching the Mac off and then on again. Thus wasting more time. If it were a playlist then you'd end up having too may playlists. Maybe it would be better if Apple never made a music player instead. Why pay for something that "Does not work". Like an Astell & Kern SR25. You find out it does not work properly so you'd sell it on!

Issue: "Just fix the **** thing".

Easier for all!

Apr 9, 2021 2:00 PM in response to TheLittles

@The Littles.

Imported exactly as the system requires. Dates are invariably incorrect causing malfunction of Album artwork. Also Importing is flawed in itself. Many files are incorrectly named resulting in Album Artwork failing. Sometimes you can get it to work and others just say the Album is not in iTunes Store? Go figure!

You say organise folders which clearly does not work properly! Playlists do but why have millions fixing issues instead of getting someone to fix the main issue.

I can see some are getting worked up! Not my intention!

Apr 28, 2021 12:32 AM in response to turingtest2

Call me what you like. I'm no . Minded. The app should work out of the box. If admin reckons I'm in the wrong again, I pity this site and apple for having a non-critical viewpoint. It stunts proper growth as society clearly reflects that! It will only end up in Apple failing in the future. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism!

Why does "Music" fail as a player.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.