You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading photos to Icloud from Imac

My Imac is showing uploading photos to Icloud. However it has not progressed for 3 days. There is over 20000 photos recovered from an old hard drive that i want to put in the Icloud to keep safe.

At this rate it is going to take years!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 3:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 6:55 AM

The progress bar is not continually updated.

But you should be seeing some progress by checking directly on your iCloud webpage in the browser. Open Safari and go to the web page www.icloud.com, sign I with your iCloud AppleID and open the Photos.app on that web page. Does the number of items in iCloud change, when you are looking directly at the webpage?

If the number shown in iCloud does not change at all, ensure that the cloud processes are running on your Mac.

It helps to restart the Mac and Photos occasionally to kick off the background processes.

And you may check, if you are items in your Photos Library, that are not compatible with iCloud. Is the status bar in Photos showing any items "On this Mac Only"? Is the smart album with the rule "Photo is unable to upload to iCloud Photo" empty? See: About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Some of the photos you recovered from an old hard drive may be corrupted or cannot be processed. Or you may have included videos and photos in an incompatible format. Which system version is running on your iMac?

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 9, 2021 6:55 AM in response to bemybeau

The progress bar is not continually updated.

But you should be seeing some progress by checking directly on your iCloud webpage in the browser. Open Safari and go to the web page www.icloud.com, sign I with your iCloud AppleID and open the Photos.app on that web page. Does the number of items in iCloud change, when you are looking directly at the webpage?

If the number shown in iCloud does not change at all, ensure that the cloud processes are running on your Mac.

It helps to restart the Mac and Photos occasionally to kick off the background processes.

And you may check, if you are items in your Photos Library, that are not compatible with iCloud. Is the status bar in Photos showing any items "On this Mac Only"? Is the smart album with the rule "Photo is unable to upload to iCloud Photo" empty? See: About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Some of the photos you recovered from an old hard drive may be corrupted or cannot be processed. Or you may have included videos and photos in an incompatible format. Which system version is running on your iMac?

Apr 9, 2021 7:28 AM in response to lkrupp

Hi Ikrupp

Syncing iCloud photos libraries does not seem to be limited by your own connection bandwidth. It generally goes much slower than that.

For example, with my 17Mb/s upload speed, you'd expect it would only take 7 or 8 hours for a 50GB library if it was purely my connnection speed being the bottleneck. In reality with iCloud sync, that took 48 hours, some 6 times longer.

Uploading photos to Icloud from Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.