Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 6 - wrong swim laps count

I just started 2 weeks ago using AW6 with pool swimming, but it always counts just the half of the laps and dont get it fixed, any ideas?

I set the correct length of the pool, tried with the training app and myswimpro and I always get same results. I count the laps my own and when finshed it always shows half of the laps I did.

Funnywise with the first tests I did when I got the AW6 in the pool it seems to work perfect, same pool.

Should I reset or do something ?

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 12:30 AM

SOLUTION:

Today I gave it another try and did not change anything on the watch, used again the Training app, but changed a bit the turns.

Before I had always a long stroke sliding towards the end pool edge without fully pulling like with an outstretched arm with the watch on it. Then I turned first pushing hard with the legs and again sliding as far I can with outstretched arms what was normal for me. Again no move with the arms for a bit of time.

Today I tried to fully move the arms, especially with the watch as long and close as possible to the pool edge. Then I turned and immediately did a stroke with the watch arm and just pushed a bit with the legs and as a consequence had to do some more strokes, which in total was a bit slower compared to pushing hard with the legs and do a long slide.

But, the amount of counted laps (one length) was 175 compared to my 180 self counted one (never 100% right I guess as I'm always start thinking about other stuff). Just the last 2 laps were counted as 1, which was obvious also from the timing. Maybe I have to turn also at the end one more and then stop.

All in all: I'm satisfied now with the counting and know what to do and how to turn to not count swim laps manually anymore and just can swim :-) Hope this helps also others.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2021 12:30 AM in response to mici73

SOLUTION:

Today I gave it another try and did not change anything on the watch, used again the Training app, but changed a bit the turns.

Before I had always a long stroke sliding towards the end pool edge without fully pulling like with an outstretched arm with the watch on it. Then I turned first pushing hard with the legs and again sliding as far I can with outstretched arms what was normal for me. Again no move with the arms for a bit of time.

Today I tried to fully move the arms, especially with the watch as long and close as possible to the pool edge. Then I turned and immediately did a stroke with the watch arm and just pushed a bit with the legs and as a consequence had to do some more strokes, which in total was a bit slower compared to pushing hard with the legs and do a long slide.

But, the amount of counted laps (one length) was 175 compared to my 180 self counted one (never 100% right I guess as I'm always start thinking about other stuff). Just the last 2 laps were counted as 1, which was obvious also from the timing. Maybe I have to turn also at the end one more and then stop.

All in all: I'm satisfied now with the counting and know what to do and how to turn to not count swim laps manually anymore and just can swim :-) Hope this helps also others.

Apr 11, 2021 11:55 PM in response to better_half

After todays 2km freestyle swim I can tell the counting is quite accurate, but just every second length, means on AW I had half the number I counted manually. From the timing perspective I have to check a single length next time, but my assumption is the time in all data is 2 lengths. Therefore I would have to enter 2 lengths instead of just one at the beginning and will try also next time.

Does anyone know about the automatic sets in the Training app? These look weird. In total 32 sets, I always swim all the time, no pause, just the turns (no flip kick).

01 Freestyle 176m / Swim 6:35 / Pause 00:10

02 Freestyle 11m / Swim 00:13 / Pause 00:10

03 Freestyle 33m / Swim 01:04 / Pause 00:11

04 Freestyle 11m / Swim 00:13 / Pause 00:11

Most of them are 11m (which is the pool length), but there also some with 22/55/66m.

My question: what are the automatic sets for?

Apple Watch 6 - wrong swim laps count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.