Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari does not fill in passwords, Usernames and passwords checkbox in AutoFill is greyed out.

Since a couple of days ago Safari 14.0.3 on macOS 11.2.3 no longer shows me the prompt to fill in passwords in webpages, and the preferences for AutoFill show "Usernames and passwords" greyed out.

As hinted by https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252064825?answerId=253992260022#253992260022, I have tried to disable and enable TouchID for password filling, and even reconstructed my fingerprints, but no chance.

I'd like to avoid disconnecting this device from Apple ID and connecting it again, but I will try that next, if I don't get any other suggestions.

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 10:05 AM

I managed to resolve it by deleting the ~/Library/Application Support/Safari folder (~ means it is in the current user's library) and also deleting the ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari.PasswordBreachAgent folder. I did also erase /Library/Managed Preferences/j.santander-vela/com.apple.Safari.plist file (with administrator permission), so I'm not 100% sure of which one was the key there…

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 10:05 AM in response to juandesant

I managed to resolve it by deleting the ~/Library/Application Support/Safari folder (~ means it is in the current user's library) and also deleting the ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari.PasswordBreachAgent folder. I did also erase /Library/Managed Preferences/j.santander-vela/com.apple.Safari.plist file (with administrator permission), so I'm not 100% sure of which one was the key there…

Apr 14, 2021 8:53 AM in response to juandesant

It occurred again, and this time I managed resolve it just by deleting the file /Library/Managed Preferences/j.santander-vela/com.apple.Safari.plist.

The content of that file was (UUID faked):

$ plutil -p com.apple.Safari.plist 
{
  "DefaultBrowserPromptingState2" => 1
  "AutoFillPasswords" => 0
  "PayloadUUID" => "5A988951-9867-4F9E-867A-AE6BC0362FF0"
}

This seems to be related to a MDM profile from my organisation that actually includes that file. At least the policy does not impede deletion of the file 😉

Safari does not fill in passwords, Usernames and passwords checkbox in AutoFill is greyed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.