Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am getting AOL emails for accounts I do not hold!

I do not use AOL email, however, since the last Apple update I have been receiving emails on my Apple devices to an AOL account that does not belong to me. I cannot stop this since those emails are not in my Internet Accounts in System Preferences.

I cannot express how frustrating it is to get spam that is not even mean for me.

If I do not have an AOL email account, how am I getting emails to an AOL account in my Apple Mail App?

Even if someone set up a fake AOL account with my name, how did they link it to my Apple Mail?

I am running BigSur 11.2.1

How do I stop this?

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 9:46 AM

I was having a similar problem with my gmail account. Blocking the sending address did nothing, so I just created a filter (called a rule in other email services) to keep the emails from hitting my inbox. I think Apple Mail uses a 'rule' so create one to automatically delete the emails with myname@aol.com in the To field, and that should stop them from (over)populating your inbox.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 9:46 AM in response to akg78002

I was having a similar problem with my gmail account. Blocking the sending address did nothing, so I just created a filter (called a rule in other email services) to keep the emails from hitting my inbox. I think Apple Mail uses a 'rule' so create one to automatically delete the emails with myname@aol.com in the To field, and that should stop them from (over)populating your inbox.

Apr 9, 2021 4:20 PM in response to Ronasara

No I did not change anything regarding email and I only access my emails through apple mail.

I will contact AOL, but I doubt they would answer, and that also doesn't explain how apple let email addresses I don't own attach themselves to my apple mail? How is this not a serious security breach?

What is to stop this from happening again if AOL just cancels those email accounts?

Have I been hacked?

Apr 9, 2021 4:44 PM in response to Ronasara

How or why this has occurred is something I can not answer. But, if you explain to AOL what is happening and have them cancel the account, obviously, you will no longer be receiving any emails from AOL, and that is what you want. Also, maybe they will be able to tell how this particular AOL account was set up. It's worth asking them. As to your other questions, only AOL can answer or address them. Good luck.

Apr 9, 2021 4:53 PM in response to Ronasara

Thanks.

Just got off the phone with AOL and they say they don't have any records of that email account. They say the email account doesn't exist, and therefore they cannot help me. They told me to contact apple support and have the "aol" accounts deleted from my apple accounts. But nothing shows up in my system preferences.

Even if someone hacked me and got my icloud account password and added a fake email to my apple account, it would show up in my system preferences right?

Ugh.

Apr 10, 2021 2:43 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks Bob.

I believe you. I was ignorant to the purpose of the BCC field, thank you. And thanks for all the help so far.

Do you think it is safe for me to assume then, that I have not been hacked? And that the only thing to do is keep blocking the emails?

I've never heard of this kind of thing before so if there are any recommended actions I can take to mitigate the problem, please do not hesitate to share!

Thanks again and in advance.

Apr 23, 2021 5:43 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I’m confused though, what is the purpose of doing this? What do the scammers stand to gain from hiding the recipients email address in the BCC field and making it look as if it’s being delivered to an email address that doesn’t even exist (or at least doesn’t belong to the recipient)? I’m so incredibly frustrated, my Gmail account is 100% full so I’m having to go through and delete thousands of emails one at a time and I keep coming across these spam emails addressed to myname@aol.com

I am getting AOL emails for accounts I do not hold!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.