Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: Use your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote with Apple TV

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need a tv provider to use Apple TV

Do I need a tv provider in order to use apple tv

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2021 1:46 PM

An Apple TV box is a way to stream content from the internet, some of which is free, and some of which is subscription, and some of which (with an appropriate app and some added local hardware) might include local over-the-air content. A TV provider or other content provider can be the credentials used for paid content.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2021 1:46 PM in response to Baroda1

An Apple TV box is a way to stream content from the internet, some of which is free, and some of which is subscription, and some of which (with an appropriate app and some added local hardware) might include local over-the-air content. A TV provider or other content provider can be the credentials used for paid content.

Apr 9, 2021 8:30 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Urquhart1244 wrote:

If you want to watch live network television (ABC, NBC, etc.), then yes, you need a TV provider, either cable or internet streaming.

The Channels app and local receiver hardware allows direct access to over-the-air content; live broadcast.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/channels-for-hdhomerun/id1055205969

No TV provider is required.

There may well be other options here, too.

Do I need a tv provider to use Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.