Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign in to iCloud - server error message on both devices

I typically find solutions here and they have always been helpful and worked. This is completely different. I wish I could pick more than one device for the topic but my biggest issue is syncing with Macbook but my iPhone is doing the same thing.

Earlier this week I discovered my notes weren't syncing from my iPhone to my Macbook. I had a hectic week, dismissed it, and didn't try to fix it until last night when I noticed my Calendar hasn't synced either and I made an appointment on my phone that doesn't show up on my Macbook. I tried a hard sync with the phone connected to Macbook and it didn't fix the sync issue either, so I tried iCloud and got the server error message. I checked the Apple server sites and isitdownrightnow to make sure it wasn't just me (it was just me).

I have since tried everything: different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and clearing cookies). I have rebooted and tried in safe mode. I have deleted Chrome extensions. I have reset my internet. I haven't done anything different, no new downloaded apps or programs on either device. I am having the server error issue on both my phone and Macbook and across all browsers.

FWIW, I'm running Big Sur 11.2.3 and my iPhone is running iOS 14.4.2

The only thing I know I've done in the last couple weeks or so are the small updates for Big Sur and iOS14.

Any other recommendations?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 1:52 PM

For the computer, have you restarted the computer? Tried logging out of your user account and back in?

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account.  Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. 

Safe Mode - About.    

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

https://etrecheck.com

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2021 1:52 PM in response to shortyjill

For the computer, have you restarted the computer? Tried logging out of your user account and back in?

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account.  Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. 

Safe Mode - About.    

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

https://etrecheck.com

Apr 10, 2021 8:17 PM in response to Eric Root

I had tried all of these but the added admin account, so I did that but it won't let me sign in to iCloud under that either. It doesn't work in safe mode. I have no anti-virus programs. I do have Express VPN but use it only on rare occasions. I've had it for over a year and haven't had it cause any problems before. I thought maybe I'm locked out of my account but I can sign in to my Apple ID without issue, so I'm still stumped.

Can't sign in to iCloud - server error message on both devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.