Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending AirPort Extreme

I have two AirPort Extreme units, but because of the configuration of the building, some areas cannot get good wifi signal. Is it possible to extend the signal to these areas by using a 3rd AirPort Extreme [brand new] connected to the 2nd one through Ethernet Cabling?

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 4:42 PM

The AirPorts do not support "power over Ethernet", also known as "PoE", so you would not want to hook the AirPorts up to your current Ethernet hub/switch.

If you do use an Ethernet switch on the network with the AirPorts, it needs to be a simple "unmanaged" Gigabit Ethernet device which has its own outboard power supply.

Personally, I have used Netgear Gigabit Ethernet switches for many years with flawless results, but a Cisco switch would be a very good choice as well. I'm sure Cisco offers unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switches as well in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port etc versions.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2021 4:42 PM in response to Ahimsa

The AirPorts do not support "power over Ethernet", also known as "PoE", so you would not want to hook the AirPorts up to your current Ethernet hub/switch.

If you do use an Ethernet switch on the network with the AirPorts, it needs to be a simple "unmanaged" Gigabit Ethernet device which has its own outboard power supply.

Personally, I have used Netgear Gigabit Ethernet switches for many years with flawless results, but a Cisco switch would be a very good choice as well. I'm sure Cisco offers unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switches as well in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port etc versions.

Apr 10, 2021 1:07 PM in response to Ahimsa

The 2nd one connects to the 1st by Wifi.

Thanks for the clarification on that.

The reason is that all the ethernet [out] ports on the 1st are taken by other more essential devices

You do know that you can always connect an Ethernet switch to one of the Ethernet ports on the AirPort to create more Ethernet ports, correct? Switches come in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port, etc versions.

An example of an Ethernet switch would look something like this:

You would connect an Ethernet cable from one of the Ethernet ports on the AirPort to Port 1 on the switch. That will leave 7 available Ethernet ports on the switch for devices, plus you would still have 2 ports left on the AirPort. If you used a 5-port switch, you would wind up with 4 additional ports for devices at the switch.

You can also connect an Ethernet switch to another Ethernet switch. For example, I have an 8-port Ethernet switch connected to my "main" AirPort and another 8-port Ethernet switch on the other side of the house that connects back to Ethernet switch connected to the "main" AirPort. So, in effect, I have 7 Ethernet ports for each AirPort, not counting the other 2 free ports on the AirPorts.

It would be also difficult to hardwire the 1st to the 2nd/3rd because of building structural issues.

Understood. Sometimes, you just can't do things the optimal way.

Would the problem be solved by connecting the 2nd WiFi to the First through an ethernet hub?

Not sure what you mean by Ethernet "hub". Do you mean Ethernet "switch", like the example above?

If the 1st AirPort is connected to an Ethernet switch or hub and it gets its network Internet connection that way, and you could also connect the 2nd AirPort to the same switch/hub......then.....the 2nd AirPort would not need to use the much slower WiFi connection to connect to the 1st AirPort. You could also connect the 3rd AirPort to the 2nd AirPort or to the Ethernet switch using another Ethernet cable connection and maintain the much better Ethernet setup for the AirPorts.

Having all the AirPorts connect using Ethernet is far and away the best way to set things up if possible.

Apr 10, 2021 10:34 AM in response to Ahimsa

Yes, but ideally you would want to connect the 3rd AirPort to the 1st AirPort by Ethernet, if at all possible.

Reasons.....

1) If.....the 2nd AirPort has a problem, then so too will the 3rd AirPort and it will be more difficult to find out whether the issue is with the 2nd or 3rd AirPort since both will not be working correctly. This would be true whether the 2nd AirPort connects to the 1st AirPort using Ethernet....or....WiFi.

2) If.....the 2nd AirPort is currently connecting the 1st AirPort using only a WiFi connection and extending the network that way, the potential speed of the network has been cut in half. So, if you connect the 3rd AirPort to the 2nd using Ethernet, the potential speed of that portion of the network will also be reduced to half of the potential of the AirPort.

Can you clarify how the 2nd AirPort connects to the 1st at this time? If it is via Ethernet, then the addition of an Ethernet switch could potentially solve the issue in 1) above, and there would be no need to connect the 3rd AirPort to the 1st in this case for maximum benefit.

Apr 10, 2021 2:19 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I think I shall connect the two additional Extremes the way you suggested. I had given this consideration before, but decided against it because of the following:

[Also, answers your question what I meant by “Ethernet Hub”. By Hub, I meant a Powered Ethernet Switch [Cisco]. Since power is sent through the cable that is connected from the Switch to a device, I was wondering whether that might damage the Airport, since it already receives power through its power cable.]

Extending AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.