Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gift cards applied to account balance

Can you apply more than 8 gift cards to your apple account balace and use the value in a single website purchase? Normally you can’t use more than 8 cards, and I’m wondering if this is a viable workaround.

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 1:33 PM

3 replies

Apr 10, 2021 1:42 PM in response to EMM0119

You are referring to using the Apple Store? From what I can tell, if you actually redeem a gift card (and it has to be the right kind) the balance gets added to your Apple ID. Depending upon where you live you may be able to buy different things with Apple ID balance, but there are also restrictions. I don't think there are limits to the number of cards you can redeem but then there may be problems with using this for some purchases. Otherwise Apple Store gift cards are like cash, but then you run up against the 8 card limit.

This article explains the different kinds of cards Apple uses and has links on how to redeem them and what can be purchased with each kind. Click on the link --> What type of gift card do I have? - https://support.apple.com/HT204199

Payment, Financing, Refunds and VAT - Shopping Help - Apple

"You can use up to eight Apple Gift Cards at a time when you purchase online from Apple, or if you’re placing an order by calling 1‑800‑MY‑APPLE. You can use your gift card(s) with one credit card and your Apple Account Balance to pay for your purchase."

Apr 10, 2021 2:08 PM in response to Limnos

So, the website says:

“Apple Account Balance

Redeem Apple Gift Cards or add money directly into your Apple Account Balance anytime. Then use the balance to pay for Apple products, accessories, apps, games, music, movies, TV shows, iCloud, and more. You can check your Apple Account Balance online.

To use your Apple Account Balance to buy products on apple.com or in the Apple Store app, make sure you are signed in with your Apple ID. Then simply choose an amount to apply to your purchase during the payment step in checkout. You can use the funds from your Apple Account Balance in combination with one credit card and up to eight Apple Gift Cards. See Payment for details on using more than one payment method.”

Let me frame my question another way. Some stores add gift cards to an account by just saving the gift card info. Target is like that. Other stores transfer the value to a balance and the “gift card” is then fully redeemed; the value in the account is then treated like the same as cash. How does the Apple Account balance, which can be used on the website or for digital purchases, treat a gift card once it is applied to it?

Apr 10, 2021 2:27 PM in response to EMM0119

All I know is what I read in the documentation (this forum is for users to help users). It depends upon the card, about which I earlier provided a link. Apple has a bewildering variety. If it is one which you can redeem vs. just use as cash directly, and you choose to redeem it, it gets applied to your Apple ID balance. What you can buy with Apple ID balance depends upon the country where you live (don't forget I have no idea if you are sitting in a yurt in Mongolia).

To learn 'What you can buy with your Apple ID balance'click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT211187

If it is an Apple Store card then it is basically like cash. You don't redeem it as such, you just turn up with 8 or fewer, put them down on the counter and say you want an iMac or whatever. If you're in the US and you can use your Apple ID balance for what it is you want to buy, you don't need the cards anymore once you have redeemed them to your account. Your Apple ID has the credit attached to it and it isn't seen as individual cards, just a $ amount. This is probably more the Target model. Balance can be added to an Apple ID by other methods too but in the end it is just seen as so many $ credit in your Apple ID.

If you have a specific purchase in mind and want to make sure you have the right kind of cards and what to do with them, ask Apple:

Contact Apple for support and service --> "See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world."

Click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT201232

Gift cards applied to account balance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.