Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with OS installation in Early 2009 iMac 24 inch

How do I load a working El Capitan OS on an iMac I received from my son? Apple seems to have prevented limited updating from Leopard or Snow Leopard. I tried a Youtube method which did install El Capitan but AppStore doesn't connect, so its use is very restricted since much software won't install on Snow Leopard, needing a later OS version.

I would also like to add an SSD and tried loading Snow Leopard onto a USB connected SSD but when installation disc tries system says OS can't be installed.

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 8:39 PM

Hi douglas1879,

First, you can't use an external USB SSD with this Mac. It is way too slow since the Mac is old and only has USB 2.0.

Secondly, you need to download the Package file from Apple. Use this link, and choose El Capitan: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support. You then install it to the internal hard drive on the Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2021 8:39 PM in response to douglas1879

Hi douglas1879,

First, you can't use an external USB SSD with this Mac. It is way too slow since the Mac is old and only has USB 2.0.

Secondly, you need to download the Package file from Apple. Use this link, and choose El Capitan: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support. You then install it to the internal hard drive on the Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

Apr 11, 2021 12:43 AM in response to Jack-19

Thanks a lot Jack. I'll do as you suggest. Why can't an SSD via USB2 work on a trial basis, albeit real slow? I just wanted to check out compatibility before tearing the iMac apart to do a proper install. Since the optic drive is kaput and I have an external one available I intend to replace the optic with SSD as drive 2 and boot from it. Does this sound reasonable?

Apr 11, 2021 4:34 PM in response to douglas1879

It isn't worth adding an SSD, internal or external, to that Mac. It all comes down to it being an older and not having modern I/O and connections, even internal connections.

The external USB SSD will be snail slow, like taking 30 seconds to open a Safari session slow.

It is much better to just keep what you have, and install OS X El Capitan.

Cheers,

Jack

Apr 12, 2021 10:41 AM in response to douglas1879

Thanks Jack-19,

Disappointing but saves me from surgery on the iMac. I've just gone through SDD installation on my Mid 2009 Macbook and ran into dimensional problems, having to open it all up. I was successful but surprise! my 86 year old fingers are not as nimble as they used to be, not to mention my eyesight.

iMac has several disconnects/reconnects that are fussy to do, in addition to coping with fan speed, so it's probably best for me to leave well alone.

Problems with OS installation in Early 2009 iMac 24 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.