Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

me and my husband have been sharing an Apple ID since it started and now want to have our own can I do that without losing all my previous text messages and photos

we have been sharing an Apple ID for ever and want to separate to our own to make things easier but I dont want to lose anything if I create my own such as texts and photos. how do we do this ?

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 8:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 11:22 AM

You can create a new account for use everywhere, but use the old ID to sign into Messages.

Apple ID - create a new.      

Apple ID – Create         

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing between the IDs to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.     

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 11:22 AM in response to John_g13

You can create a new account for use everywhere, but use the old ID to sign into Messages.

Apple ID - create a new.      

Apple ID – Create         

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing between the IDs to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.     

Apr 10, 2021 9:22 PM in response to John_g13

If you were the one to. keep this account you guys shre now then yes you would need all you rpevious messages and photos but then if your husband created a new account it would not keep all of the previous text messages and photos since they re tied to the apple id yoou guys share now but no the new one. And vise versa it depends on who keep the account you guys have now who gets all the previous text messages and photos, what you could do though is create a new account for you both and then just keep this account if you need to access all the photos and text messages. Or contact Apple Support and maybe they have a solution. Contact Support here: https://support.apple.com 🙂

me and my husband have been sharing an Apple ID since it started and now want to have our own can I do that without losing all my previous text messages and photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.