Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to rebuild music collection?

Background: Over the years I have imported hundreds of CDs into Apple Music, I have purchased music on iTunes, and I have downloaded albums and songs from my Apple Music subscription. Over the past year I have rebuilt my MacBook Pro from scratch several times, and I recently got a brand new MacBook Pro. I noted that ALL of my local files have been wiped out, and I do not have backups of these files (my bad, lesson learned). I am prepared to re-import as many of my CDs as necessary.

My Music Library remains intact, however, so I seem to have access to all of my music. Before I discard all of the original CDs, I would like to know the following:

1) Music from CDs: Does Apple Music track that I originally owned and imported a given album/song? If I redownload an album that I had imported -- even though that same album is part of Apple Music subscription -- will I be able to retain those downloaded files? Or do I need to re-import the CD?

2) Music purchased from iTunes: basically the same question as above.

Basically, before I get rid of the CDs, I want to understand what would happen to my local music files if for some reason I terminated my Apple Music subscription. Will it wipe out all music, including that which I own (imported or purchased), and do I need to hold onto my CDs forever?

I can't seem to find a comprehensive view of how music ownership works with Apple Music. Thanks for any guidance here!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 9:35 AM

Songs you have downloaded from an Apple Music subscription become unplayable when the subscription ends. Local files that you have ripped from CD are supposedly unaffected by an Apple Music subscription, but it is easy to get confused and (as we see pretty much every day on this forum) lose music. Therefore: keep at least one backup.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 9:35 AM in response to Patrick Smith

Songs you have downloaded from an Apple Music subscription become unplayable when the subscription ends. Local files that you have ripped from CD are supposedly unaffected by an Apple Music subscription, but it is easy to get confused and (as we see pretty much every day on this forum) lose music. Therefore: keep at least one backup.

May 21, 2021 11:16 PM in response to Patrick Smith

Patrick - I understand you'd like to not have to keep all of your physical CDs, but in my experience on these forums and with my own collection, you're going to regret not hanging on to them. I can't count how many threads I've seen where Apple Music libraries are screwed up. It's just not worth the risk. Keep the CDs, but store them away somewhere. I've gotten rid of all of the jewel cases and just keep the CD itself (some liner notes if they contain anything useful).

May 24, 2021 3:22 PM in response to Patrick Smith

Apple downloads unlocked 256 kbps aac files when stuff goes missing on my end, It may be linked to my Apple Music subscription, but the files are unlocked - they work in any app, unlinked to any subscription.

I think this may be called "apple match", but I don't think I bought it specifically. It's just kind of there. So if my data collection ever went missing, I'd have that.

If you're not using lossless files, this might be enough.

And sometimes, when these are old, rare files, I just get the same lower-bitrate mp3 files, so Apple seems to hold on to those, too.

How to rebuild music collection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.