Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Magic Keyboard some keys are not working, same keys are not working with a new Magic keyboard

My Magic Keyboard some keys are not working, same keys are not working with a new Magic keyboard.

What is wrong?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 3:01 PM

Alpheus07 wrote:

My Magic Keyboard some keys are not working

Which keys exactly?? If 789uiojkl the fix is in your accessibility preferences, turn OFF Mouse Keys.

8 replies

Apr 11, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Alpheus07

Alpheus07 Said:

"My Magic Keyboard some keys are not working, same keys are not working with a new Magic keyboard. What is wrong?"

-------

What to Try:

A. Verify the Connection:

First off, see if the headphones are is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Choose: System Information or System Report
  4. Select: Audio and Bluetooth from the list on the left
  5. Look For: any keyboard provided

B. Reset the Bluetooth Module:

See if Bluetooth is getting in the way here.  Bluetooth may be in a constant loop of not being able to connect.  Go Here: Use "Reset the Bluetooth module" to Fix Constant Bluetooth Disconnections - User Tips

Apr 17, 2021 10:15 AM in response to rkaufmann87

To: rkaufmann87

Although I had been requested to reset the SMC (once) in a chat.......I also attempted to start the computer in safe mode...but the problem continued.

I have reset SMC 4 times this time with everything disconnected and will see what happens. My problem is intermittent ...it will work for a few days and then all of a sudden, it starts up again with typing additional keys on its own or hesitating a long time before the strokes show up on the screen. It is as if the keyboard is possessed ....Yes, I have Norton antivirus installed and have had it for years.

The only issue with all of this is why would an older Apple wireless keyboard work fine...and this one seems to have a mind of its own?

Apr 17, 2021 8:33 AM in response to colleenfromlittleton

Reset the SMC 2-4 times quickly (this is important) with all wired peripherals disconnected (printers, scanners, cameras, etc..) then retest. If that does not restart in Safe Mode. If that does not work, post back and there are more actions. There is nothing wrong with BT but there may be some issue with your installation.

SMC Reset & Use Safe Mode to isolate issues with your Mac

By the way, do you happen to have any third party antivirus or cleaning apps installed??

Apr 17, 2021 3:36 PM in response to colleenfromlittleton

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for Norton and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

Apr 17, 2021 5:23 AM in response to Alpheus07

I recently purchased a new mac which came with a magic keyboard. I had issues with the keyboard (erratic typing...sometimes typing on its own, etc). I recently exchanged it for a new one. It is doing the same thing....I think this is a bluetooth issue..as I have a number of bluetooth devices and it seems like there was some sort of interference. I went back to an older Apple wireless keyboard and have had no problems.

Apr 17, 2021 9:17 AM in response to colleenfromlittleton

I am having exactly the same issue with my new wireless magic keyboard. Now, I am using my older wireless keyboard and have no problems. I had noticed when I first used the new magic keyboard that I thought that the s key felt weird when typing, almost like it was sticking or something. Then it would randomly make a repeating noise as if one of the keys was depressed and I couldn't stop it. When it would do that I had no control over the keyboard. I would have to shut my computer down and restart, then I could use the keyboard for a short time and it would start again. Again, using my old wireless keyboard with the same computer works just fine. The keyboard came with my new imac, but I purchased it from Best Buy, which probably was a mistake. They will not do a thing.

My Magic Keyboard some keys are not working, same keys are not working with a new Magic keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.