Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore from Time Machine?

Today, I found my iMac was running the current versions of Big Sur and Safari, but had loaded a 10 year old list of Bookmarks. I would like to recover my current Bookmarks, but Time Machine only tells me how to make a backup, but not how to recover from it. I suspect something deeper in the System software is at fault, because my previous posting here was deleted with the message that an error occurred.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 4:03 PM

The bookmarks are stored in a file titled (drum roll please) Bookmarks.plist. It's located in your User/Home/Library/Safari folder.

Now do the following:

1. Go there and select the Bookmarks.plist file.
  2. Go to the Time Machine menu in the menu bar and enter Time Machine.
  3. Go back in time to a point where you know the Bookmarks.plist file will have all of the book marks you want.
  4. Select the file and click on the Restore button.

This screenshot shows how to restore a Photos library. It's the same procedure as restoring any file on the hard drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 4:03 PM in response to Steve Birchall

The bookmarks are stored in a file titled (drum roll please) Bookmarks.plist. It's located in your User/Home/Library/Safari folder.

Now do the following:

1. Go there and select the Bookmarks.plist file.
  2. Go to the Time Machine menu in the menu bar and enter Time Machine.
  3. Go back in time to a point where you know the Bookmarks.plist file will have all of the book marks you want.
  4. Select the file and click on the Restore button.

This screenshot shows how to restore a Photos library. It's the same procedure as restoring any file on the hard drive.

How do I restore from Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.