Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 8 vs iPad Pro 10.5

What are the differences between a iPad 8th generation vs iPad Pro (10.5-inch) 2017 model? 

I was using an older iPad Pro (9.7-inch) as a digital art device to draw and use Adobe to edit stuff. I was using it to watch movies and videos plus play games on it. I wanted to find out if the iPad 8 can be used in the same way. I know iPad 8 and iPad Pros support Pencil and ipadOS.

I am sure there are some subtle differences between the iPad 8 and iPad Pro 2017 models. I wanted to replace iPad Pro (9.7-inch).

I was thinking of getting the iPad 8g instead of iPad Pro (10.5-inch) 2017 model.

iPad

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 3:10 PM

12 replies

Apr 12, 2021 10:16 AM in response to pfisher112

All iPads today are sufficiently powerful enough to do most anything now.

If you were using a 2016, 9.7 inch screen iPad Pro for sketching/drawing/painting on the device, the experience will be similar with the 2020, 10.2 inch screen ( which is a 1/2 of an inch larger screen on the diagonal ) 8th gen iPad, just without all of the premium bells and whistles of a much more expensive iPad Pro.

Such as

No laminated display.

No Tru-tone display and NO higher color gamut display

No 4-speaker audio system

No iPhone quality cameras

You'll get one more GB of internal RAM, for a total of 3 GBs of internal processing RAM, in the 2020, 10.2 inch screen 8th gen iPad ( The 2016, 9.7 inch screen iPad Pro ONLY had 2 GBs of internal RAM).

Like I stated, the 2020, 8th gen iPad will get the job done for you.

Apr 13, 2021 11:36 AM in response to MichelPM

I figured the iPad 8 would be a good direct replacement to the old iPad Pro (9.7) model. Also, I have to put an Otterbox case on the iPad 8 for protection. Again, I plan on using the iPad 8 as a digital art device to draw/sketch, play games, watch movies, etc... so I don't think I will have any problems.

You had mentioned the differences that the iPad 8 doesn't have such has display, speakers, and camera. Is it an obvious and huge difference or subtle? I won't be taking pictures with the iPad 8 but display and speakers are important.

Thanks.

Apr 13, 2021 2:35 PM in response to pfisher112

You won't br getting the same display attributes/experience the iPad Pros had/have in a base model, budget iPad.

So, you need to understand that.

The higher end cameras, especially the front facing camera, are better for FaceTime calls or taking Selfie images and video.

The front facing cameras on all base model, budget iPad models is the same very crummy 1.2mp front camera that Apple keeps insisting on using in its iPad lineup, all the way back to the 2012 iPad 3rd generation and iPad Mini 1.

Even my very expensive $1K+, 2015/2016, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro, which I purchased very late in 2015, had this very bad 1.2 mp “FaceTime video only” camera!

Can't believe Apple did that in such a high end iPad at that time!

And there is a huge difference in sound without the 4-speaker, stereo speakers.

The speakers on all the base models iPads, from the 5th gen to the 8th gen, all have two speakers that fire only from one side of the iPad. The sound is NOT stereo and it is a thinner much less “bass-ier” sound.

It is a big difference in sound quality from that found in an iPad Pro.

So, you will be missing out on that feature, as well.

Like I stated, these missing features won't affect anything having to do with actually sketching/drawing/painting on that iPad model.

The 8th gen model iPad will get the job done for you, but without ANY of the premium iPas Pro features.

You will just need to learn to live without these premium features that ARE NOT present in a base model, budget-conscious iPad.

iPad 8 vs iPad Pro 10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.