Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop Folder, Documents Folder, and Downloads Folder not accessible on local network

I encountered this problem a couple of years ago, and I can't remember the solution. I just purchased the new MacMini. I've shared the four different users folders under file sharing on the MacMini, and I gave read / write privileges. When I connect to the MacMini using my MBP (logging into the Root User on the MacMini), the Desktop Folder, Documents Folders and Downloads Folder will not open and show the contents, so I can't copy to or from those folders. What am I missing?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 3:18 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm actually quite familiar with setting up File Sharing. It's working now . . . not sure what triggered it. I used Cocktail / Onyx to clean up a few things on the new MacMini. I also logged in locally as Root to make sure I had access to all the folders of the different users on the MacMini. I then went back to my MBP and tried to access the various user folders on the MacMini (logging in as Root), and I had no issues. Weird.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2021 3:18 PM in response to cp from OH

Thanks for the response. I'm actually quite familiar with setting up File Sharing. It's working now . . . not sure what triggered it. I used Cocktail / Onyx to clean up a few things on the new MacMini. I also logged in locally as Root to make sure I had access to all the folders of the different users on the MacMini. I then went back to my MBP and tried to access the various user folders on the MacMini (logging in as Root), and I had no issues. Weird.

Apr 12, 2021 5:20 PM in response to sduttonusa

Hello sduttonusa,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

It looks like you have some questions about sharing files between devices. 

Here are a couple of resources that can help you out. First, Set up file sharing on Mac and you can also Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad for file sharing as well.

If you still have questions, please reach back out.

Take care!

Desktop Folder, Documents Folder, and Downloads Folder not accessible on local network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.