Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Archive Utility expands to Downloads folder no matter what

For some reason, the "expand to same directory as archive" option on Archive Utility has started expanding every ZIP I expand to the Downloads Folder. The option just seems broken. Any idea ow to fix it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 10:05 AM

No, that's the entire problem. None of the ZIPs I'm expanding are in the Downloads folder, yet the "expand to same folder as archive" always sends the expanded files to Downloads. It's very annoying and clearly the wrong behavior. I download these ZIP files to a folder on my USB drive, then expand them and have to copy the files back onto the USB drive from the Downloads folder. This didn't used to be a problem, and I don't know what changed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 10:05 AM in response to PRP_53

No, that's the entire problem. None of the ZIPs I'm expanding are in the Downloads folder, yet the "expand to same folder as archive" always sends the expanded files to Downloads. It's very annoying and clearly the wrong behavior. I download these ZIP files to a folder on my USB drive, then expand them and have to copy the files back onto the USB drive from the Downloads folder. This didn't used to be a problem, and I don't know what changed.

Archive Utility expands to Downloads folder no matter what

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.