Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing issue

Hello,

I turned on File Sharing on my Mac for file sharing between two Android phones and my MacBook.

I like to share default Public folder only.

Also created a Sharing Only account to avoid password sharing and Android phones access the shared folder using this account not my primary account.

The problem is that my primary user account have not access (Read and Write) to every files or folders that copied to the Public folder - even Drop Box folder - by Android phones and being uploaded by Sharing Only account. I should re-apply my account permissions on them later for full access.

1. How to enable my full access to every new files and folder that being added by Sharing Only account?
  2. What's the main different between Public folder and Drop Box folder?

Thank you

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 3:42 AM

Very well, I found the solution here answred by Gordon Davisson. Now I access to new files & folders that uploaded by Sharing Only account with inheritable access control entries.

sudo chmod -R +a "username allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit" /Users/username/Public/Shared

The file_inherit,directory_inherit part means that this access control entry will automatically be added to new files & folders created inside this Shared folder. The specified username is our user account not the Sharing Only account.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 3:42 AM in response to BDAqua

Very well, I found the solution here answred by Gordon Davisson. Now I access to new files & folders that uploaded by Sharing Only account with inheritable access control entries.

sudo chmod -R +a "username allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit" /Users/username/Public/Shared

The file_inherit,directory_inherit part means that this access control entry will automatically be added to new files & folders created inside this Shared folder. The specified username is our user account not the Sharing Only account.

Apr 13, 2021 2:45 AM in response to alpha120

Do a Get info on your Home folder, unlock the lock in the Get Info panel. Make sure it says you have Read & Write privileges.

Using the tiny gear icon, use the drop down to "Apply to enclosed items...

Do a Get info on your Public folder, unlock the lock in the Get Info panel. Make sure it says Shared account has Read & Write privileges. Using the tiny gear icon, use the drop down to "Apply to enclosed items...

Apr 14, 2021 2:09 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you!

I try both today, but still I have not access to files and folders that uploaded by Sharing Only account 🤕

Both accounts have R/W access to the Public folder but every time that I see a new file I should "Apply to enclosed items..." on Public folder to access new files. At least I should set up an Folder Action... that I googling right now.

File Sharing issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.