Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virtual Scanner II in Image Capture

I have a Virtual Scanner II Device in Image Capture and don't know where it is coming from.

It shows a photo by Thomas Hawk. I also found the Device in /System/Library/Image Caputer/Devices. Weirdly there is also a PDF with the original Bitcoin white paper from Satoshi Nakamoto in the VirtualScanner.app Package Content.

Why is this in /System? Is this really from Apple? What is it good for?

How can I deinstall it? Since it's in /System it's write protected and can not be simply removed.

This strange device was also discovered by Josh D.

(https://twitter.com/schwa23/status/1332594197505798145?lang=en)

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 1:15 PM

It's not in my Big Sur system.

You may have installed some 3rd party software that included the virtual scanner. Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 1:15 PM in response to bernd178

It's not in my Big Sur system.

You may have installed some 3rd party software that included the virtual scanner. Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Apr 23, 2021 2:52 AM in response to Barney-15E

I assume it's some old 3rd party software (maybe from a Canon Scanner) which I used a long time ago. The driver has installed itself in /System/Library on an older macOS Version and has never been completely removed.

Through the upgrades from each macOS Release to the next it always remained in /System and now can not be removed with Big Sur anymore (SSV was not disabled and authenticated-root is enabled).

Could this be possible?

Is there a some way to remove this old driver leftovers?

Virtual Scanner II in Image Capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.