Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So are you telling me that my mid-2011 iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 CANNOT be upgraded to Big Sur? Does this mean I now own a piece of junk??

So are you telling me that my mid-2011 iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 CANNOT be upgraded to Big Sur? And I am now the not-so-proud owner of a piece of junk??

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 3:30 PM

Hi ctsaved,

Your Mac has not received software updates for three versions now. Nothing new with macOS Big Sur.

2011 iMacs are simply too old to run modern versions of macOS due to their old hardware. If you need macOS Big Sur, then it is time for a newer Mac, unfortunately.

Your Mac will continue to run fine on macOS High Sierra. It isn't suddenly "junk". It is just too old for modern macOS versions.

Also, you are not addressing Apple here. We are Apple's end-users, like yourself.

Cheers,

Jack

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 3:30 PM in response to ctsaved

Hi ctsaved,

Your Mac has not received software updates for three versions now. Nothing new with macOS Big Sur.

2011 iMacs are simply too old to run modern versions of macOS due to their old hardware. If you need macOS Big Sur, then it is time for a newer Mac, unfortunately.

Your Mac will continue to run fine on macOS High Sierra. It isn't suddenly "junk". It is just too old for modern macOS versions.

Also, you are not addressing Apple here. We are Apple's end-users, like yourself.

Cheers,

Jack

Apr 12, 2021 4:02 PM in response to Jack-19

Jack, I am used to a desktop - larger monitor - more handy for Zoom and GoToMeetings, which are not going away; and in terms of getting things done may be the best thing that could happen to in-person meetings since COVID hit! I do editing; otherwise my needs/use of my computer is pretty basic. What do you suggest? Thanks!

Apr 12, 2021 4:11 PM in response to ctsaved

If you feel you need to upgrade to Big Sur, rather than getting another iMac have you considered a Mac mini with the new M1 processor? All you would need is a display (they start at $100) and you can use the old 2011's keyboard and mouse. You can get the Mac mini's beginning at starting at $699 however a very nicely configured one would be about $1299 (16GB RAM and 1 TB SSD), add $150 for a display and you are at $1449. Compared to a similar iMac which is still the Intel CPU would be about $2700.

So are you telling me that my mid-2011 iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 CANNOT be upgraded to Big Sur? Does this mean I now own a piece of junk??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.