Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I connect my mac to my tv?

I'm having trouble connecting my mac to my tv. I have ordered a display port which has been hooked up to my tv and mac, but nothing is happening. How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 4:39 PM

Hi, ellavoelker, maybe I can help you, it’s simple but there’s a few things you have to know…

to make the connection between Mac and TV, both TV and Mac have to be turned off beforehand. Then you make the connection between Mac and TV, then you turn both on. HDMI should work just fine. Depending on your model/year of Mac you’ll probably need an adaptor.. if it’s a more recent one, thunderbolt 3 or USB-C /mini displayport to hdmi socket ( female end) .. then HDMI 2.0 cable from adaptor to TV on one of the HDMI ports on either the back or the side of the tV set. Likewise, if you have to unplug the HDMI cable from your Mac and your TV, both of them should be turned off before hand. You should also go into system Preferences, then display, and the name of your TV set should appear there. Hold down the option key on your keyboard and click on detect displays. Also turn on mirroring

that’s all I have

john b

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 4:39 PM in response to ellavoelker

Hi, ellavoelker, maybe I can help you, it’s simple but there’s a few things you have to know…

to make the connection between Mac and TV, both TV and Mac have to be turned off beforehand. Then you make the connection between Mac and TV, then you turn both on. HDMI should work just fine. Depending on your model/year of Mac you’ll probably need an adaptor.. if it’s a more recent one, thunderbolt 3 or USB-C /mini displayport to hdmi socket ( female end) .. then HDMI 2.0 cable from adaptor to TV on one of the HDMI ports on either the back or the side of the tV set. Likewise, if you have to unplug the HDMI cable from your Mac and your TV, both of them should be turned off before hand. You should also go into system Preferences, then display, and the name of your TV set should appear there. Hold down the option key on your keyboard and click on detect displays. Also turn on mirroring

that’s all I have

john b

how do I connect my mac to my tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.