Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have the circle with line startup problem on my iMac. If I choose the reinstall macOS will I lose all my previous files on the internal hard drive?

I am concerned about losing files from my internal hard drive of my iMac. When I switch it on I get the warning circle

with a line through it. I tried restarting it so I get the choice of macOS utilities but I don’t know which is the best solution to use. Unfortunately I don’t have a very recent Time Machine backup..... Does reinstalling macOS wipe the contents of the previous hard drive?

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 3:40 PM

Hi abudhabimjb,

See if this article helps: If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support.

Reinstalling macOS does not delete data, but you should have a backup in case anything goes wrong.

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

5 replies

I have the circle with line startup problem on my iMac. If I choose the reinstall macOS will I lose all my previous files on the internal hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.