Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 3 Storage Capacity

This seems to be a common question, but here goes.

My iPhone is a 256 GB version and the capacity displays 256 GB. My iPad mini is a 64 GB version and displays 64 GB. My Apple watch Series 3 GPS is an 8 GB model but only displays a capacity of 4.2 GB. Apple tech support is telling me the watchOS footprint is subtracted out of the 8 GB physical capacities to arrive at the capacity display in Settings>General>About. Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know the storage footprint of watchOS 7.3.3?

Thank you,

Bob

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 5:27 PM

3 replies

Apr 12, 2021 5:51 PM in response to baxtermcc

I don't know how to confirm it but I believe the Apple tech is right. FYI, to Free-Up Storage

For songs, see the "Remove music from Apple Watch" section in:

Add music to Apple Watch - Apple Support

and for pictures, see the "Limit photo storage on Apple Watch section in:

Choose a photo album and manage storage on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, try unpairing and pairing your watch again and restoring from the backup just created in the unpairing process. This deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system. This should result in no loss of data and in some cases can free a lot of storage.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also see:

If you don’t have enough space to update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apr 13, 2021 9:49 AM in response to baxtermcc

An Watch Series 3 ONLY has a rated internal data storage capacity of 8 GBs.

After initial flash memory drive formatting this drops to 7.5 GBs.

watchOS is now over 4 GBs in size now. Leaving your Series 3 watches with between 3 amd 3.5 GBs of actual usable internal data storage space.

Also, you must leave some internal data storage space, in reserve at all times, to maintain normal and expected operation of watchOS.

Not sure of how much space for watchOS ( I know what it needs to be for iOS/iPadOS ), but not sure for watchOS.

Let's just say it’s between 500 MBs to 1.0 GB of reserve watchOS space ( it is between 3-4 times more for iOS/iPadOS devices, so I am basing my watchOS amount relative to these iOS/iPadOS needed operational internal data reserve figures for the watchOS operational reserve data storage space ).

This leaves all of you with series 3 watches with only a practical, usable internal data storage space of only 1-2 GBs AND THAT IS IT!

This is hardly any space to store much of anything on an older series 3 Watch.

In contrast, the series 4 had 16 GBs of internal storage for a much more actual, usable data storage amount of between 8-9 GBs.

The series 5, 6 and SE models all have 32 GBs of internal data storage for a much more flexible, actual, usable internal data storage amount of between 22-23 GBs.

All of your series 3 watch storage is being eaten up by the ever growing size of watchOS.

It is the exact same issues with users of compatible, current iOS/iPadOS, 16 GBs iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch devices, with the ever growing size of iOS/iPadOS.

These OSes are now taking up a significant chunk of the very low internal data storage of these lowest cost, base model older iOS/iPadOS devices, now.

32 GBs iOS/iPadOS compatible iPhone and iPad models are quickly becoming the “new” 8 and 16 GBs devices, now, in 2021, and this situation is only going to get worse for these low internal data storage devices and its users.

Apple Watch Series 3 Storage Capacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.