Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I connect a usb 3 external hard drive to a mac pro m

How can I connect a usb3 external hard drive to a Mac Pro m1?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 8:54 PM

As far as I can tell there is no such thing as a Mac Pro M1. If you mean a MacBook Pro then please be more careful in asking questions here or else you will get the wrong advice.

To connect, plug one end of the cable into the drive and the other end into the computer.

You do not say what kind of connectors you have on the two items. "USB3" is a speed/protocol designation, not a connector type. The M1 Macs have a USB-C connector and it is possible your drive has a USB-B connector. In that case you need:

USB-C - USB-A/B adapter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2021 8:54 PM in response to silvrmnje

As far as I can tell there is no such thing as a Mac Pro M1. If you mean a MacBook Pro then please be more careful in asking questions here or else you will get the wrong advice.

To connect, plug one end of the cable into the drive and the other end into the computer.

You do not say what kind of connectors you have on the two items. "USB3" is a speed/protocol designation, not a connector type. The M1 Macs have a USB-C connector and it is possible your drive has a USB-B connector. In that case you need:

USB-C - USB-A/B adapter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

how can I connect a usb 3 external hard drive to a mac pro m

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.